Sunday, January 27, 2008

More Interesting Places to Visit

A first hand account of the Civil War can be found in Vincent DeLong's Diary of 1864. His great-great-grandson has transcribed the diary and I stumbled across it because of the DeLong's connection to Mexico, NY. Vincent writes of his service with Company G of the 24th Regiment, New York Calvary. He recorded day to day minutia as well as lists of casualties and prisoners. Included are links to histories of the battles mentioned and old family pictures.

I link to The Life of Riley from my other blog but you may find it interesting. Olive is 108 and billed as the worlds oldest blogger. The writing is actually done by her helper, Mike, and he often seems to have his own agenda. When the posts are about Olive's memories of living in Australia it is fascinating.

When I can get caught up on all of the blogs that I follow regularly I enjoy a trip to the History Carnival. And if they don't provide enough reading for you on their own they also link to other history carnivals.

No comments: