Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Anticipating Another Snow Day

We used our first snow day last Friday and it looks like we may being using our second tomorrow. If the forecast for more freezing rain holds I'll be spending the day tomorrow catching up on some reading.

The 41st edition of the Carnival of Genealogy was posted today by Jasia at Creative Gene and it is huge! This edition was fun, picking four ancestors to have dinner with. I've read many of the submissions already and I can tell you they are not to be missed. I must have been having another of my senior moments because I forgot to submit mine :( You can find it here. The next edition will be a retrospective. Will I remember to submit this time? Maybe Thomas will start a pool.
And now it's time for a Call For Submissions! The topic for the next edition of the Carnival of Genealogy will be: The Best of The Best! It's Academy awards time... time for the Academy of Genealogy and Family History aka AGFH (an esteemed organization that all genea-historian bloggers who participate in this next edition of the COG will become founding members of) to honor their best blog posts of 2007* in the following 5 categories:

Best Picture - Best old family photo that appeared on your blog in 2007. Tell us which you liked best and why.
Best Screen Play - Which family story that you shared in 2007 would make the best movie? Who would you cast as your family members?
Best Documentary - Which was the best informational article you wrote about a place, thing, or event involving your family's history in 2007?
Best Biography - Which was the best biographical article you wrote in 2007?
Best Comedy - Which was the best funny story, poem, joke, photo, or video that you shared on your blog in 2007?

Lisa posted the 3rd edition of the Carnival of Irish Culture and History last week at Small-Leaved Shamrock. I didn't have anything to contribute to this edition, dealing with Irish Places so I'll be reading up to learn more! The 4th edition sounds like fun:

Here's the scoop:

March is Irish heritage month in many places, thanks to the feast day of St. Patrick, beloved saint of Ireland. Our topic for this month will be anything and everything about Irish heritage, genealogy and culture. Posts about St. Patrick will be appreciated, but posts related to any meaningful aspect of Ireland's heritage are welcomed. To borrow an idea from Bill West's genealogy parade, we'll have our very own virtual St. Patrick's Day parade!

The deadline is March 14, 2008. Submit your parade entry here. Then come join us for the parade on St. Patrick's Day, March 17, 2008. On the feast of St. Patrick, everyone likes to be Irish, at least for one day. Hope to see you at the parade wearing your green!

The 3rd edition of the Carnival of Central and Eastern Genealogy was posted last week by Jessica at Jessica's Genejournal. I haven't done any research in this area so I haven't had anything to contribute. Hopefully this Carnival will pick up and I'll have a new learning opportunity. While you are visiting for the Carnival be sure to check out all of the changes Jessica has made to her blog. The next edition will be a carousel edition:
The topic for the next carnival is a carousel. Article topics for this carnival can deal with stories, traditions, food, history, etc. of the countries of Central and Eastern Europe. The deadline for the next edition of the carnival will be February 18th. You can submit your article here.
Donna has done a roundup of the posts for Where Our Ancestors were in 1808 at What's Past is Prologue. I never got to this one but the answers were varied and interesting.

I don't know where I'll find the time after all that reading but I really need to do some writing! I'm planning my first ever research trip, I'm way behind on Miriam's prompts, I've made some (slight) progress on my Graham line and I really need to get back to the series on the Wisner's that I started last month!

4 comments:

Thomas MacEntee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Thomas MacEntee said...

I deleted my earlier comment because I can't spell and it is too early in the morning and I haven't had my breakfast wine yet.

1. Pool? Oh no - I'm bad at organizing those. I just think you need a blogging fairy-godmother/father to watch over you - or some type of blog coach to keep you motivated.

2. Where is the research trip taking you?

3. Freezing rain right now in Chicago at 4:30 am - and up to 12" of snow by 6pm tonite.

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

It's not a lack of motivation, just a lack of memory to follow through. Maybe I need to tie a string on my finger.

I'm planning on going to Ann Arbor, MI. Hopefully I'll get to other parts of the state too. Right now I'm trying to figure that out.

The weather has been odd this year. We've only had the one bad storm here so far. It's raining now so no snow day! I hope you don't get even hald the snow they're predicting.

Lisa / Smallest Leaf said...

Thanks for the mention of the various carnivals, Apple. Hope you can join us for the next edition of the Carnival of Irish Heritage & Culture on St. Patrick's Day. See you there!