Saturday, July 12, 2008

Wells Fargo Stage Coach

Janice recently wrote, a very long time ago, about New Hampshire's Famous Concord Coach. I found her article interesting as I had no idea of their history, other than they were the famous Wells Fargo Stage Coaches. She also had a link to Old Sturbridge Village where you can take a ride in one of these old coaches for $25. Certainly more economical than the deal I got. I paid $60,000+ just to take a picture of one!!!!

Henry Wells founded Wells College in 1868 and one of the traditions at the school is that Graduates and their parents get to ride in one of the stage coaches to the Commencement Ceremony. My daughter choose Wells and stuck it out there for all four years, despite several problems and my encouraging her to switch schools. By the time her four years were done, I was really looking forward to my stage coach ride. It was a rainy, miserable day and she wanted to ride with her friends so we ended up in the Wells wagon instead.

No matter, it was a very special day for me. She was the first of my children to graduate from college (with a degree in Biochemistry!) and only the second woman in my family to do so. (My sister was the first and my niece the third.) I have high hopes that all of my grandchildren will graduate from college.

3 comments:

Miriam Robbins said...

Congratulations on your daughter's graduation! What fun to see and ride in these antique modes of transportation!

Janice said...

What a cute story :) I've posted a link to it back at the Concord Coach story. Such a proud mom and daughter photograph... very lovely.

Janice

Jasia said...

Congratulations, Apple, to you and your daughter! What a wonderful accomplishment. I love the pictures and the post!