Sunday, September 7, 2008

Ella McKinnon to Annie Carlisle June 15, 1913





Mapleton Minn
June 15th 1913

My dear Cousin
I do not remember who wrote last but I feel as if I ought to write to you anyway I hope you are well. I am most of the time feeling fine too. I have had a good deal to do all the spring so far am in hope a rest will come by & by.

Elizabeth & Effie are here now to stay until some time in Aug I think. And of course that makes always a little more to do if it is your own folks even you always do a little different

Reverse of page 1

I like to have them here. Then tomorrow Ella is starting for the Summer school so as to get ready to teach. Then too Belle was here a few days last week. she was married out there the 10th and came home after her things she had here and left again Sat. morning that is all we have seen her since the last of Sept. it was no satisfaction at all. seems as is she had not been home at all. The next month I expect Eunice Wisner will be here for a little while do not know how long she will stay. I had been loking to a rather lonesome summer but it is getting to be full after all. you had better come too then we would all be together

2

Oh dear it has been so hot today I have not taken any comfort at all. where there are so many to cook for we can not all go and come home and get dinner it takes too long so I stayed at home and this evening has been too warm then I had several letters I wanted to write so that was another excuse. We have had a very cold backward spring May was rather wet but has been very dry for quite a while and if we do not have rain soon will not have many strawberries as the vines are drying up so we had the promise of a lot of them and they are just beginning to ripen but will not be

Reverse of page 2

with out some rain gardens are alright as yet but will not stand it much longer without rain. but corn needs just such weather it is very much behind wheat it ought to be at this time of year but we had so much rain just at planting time that it was late getting planted.

Well I cannot think of anymore this time as I must write another before they gett home from church or I will not get it done as they all talk at once generally. I hope you will not wait as long as I did but answer this soon. I hope this will find as well as it leaves us.

With much love to all
I am as ever your loving
Cousin Ella


I love how Ella slips in the biggest news "Then too Belle was here a few days last week. she was married out there the 10th and came home after her things she had here and left again Sat. morning that is all we have seen her since the last of Sept. it was no satisfaction at all. seems as is she had not been home at all." No details or even her new name and address! Mary Belle McKinnon married Henry George Leick and this letter confirms the date I had of 10 June 1913. I believe "out there" was Grand Rapids, North Dakota. Belle wore a white dress and had a very large and pretty bouquet. Margie has Belle & George's wedding photo here.

Elizabeth Hall Belden was Ella's sister and Effie her daughter.

Eunice Ann Fenlon Wisner was the widow of Ella's cousin, George H. Wisner.

Ella was Ella's daughter and it seems she is preparing to teach school too. I've been surprised at the number of women in the family that were teachers.

For more see:
Carlisle - Wisner Letters
Family of William Wisner
Descendants of Maryetta Wisner
Descendants of Sarah Ann Wisner
Margie's Ancestors - McKinnon Pictures



McKinnon, Ella Hall (Mapleton, Minnesota) to “My dear Cousin” [Sarah Ann Camfield Carlisle]. Letter. 15 June 1913. Digital Images 1-4. Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Snowville, New York. 2008. [Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1913-1914, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

1 comment:

Tex said...

Loved seeing the pictures of Belle--