Monday, November 10, 2008

Ella Jeffery to Anna Camfield, 24 Oct. 1875







United States Postal Card
[postmarked Oct 25 11 AM, Boston Mass.

To Miss Anna Canfield
Burr Oak
Michigan

reverse

13 Sheridan Ave.
Boston, Mass.
Oct. 24” 1875

Friend Anna,
I wrote you in Aug. and sent you my picture I have never heard from you since. Did you receive it? I went to a consert last week heard two of the finest singers in B—Mrs West + Mrs Kimbell Twas splendid. – Katie has been sick for weeks is better now – Is Mr + Mrs M – with you now. are they well – write the Buch. news. been a heavy fog all day. Business very dull here for his time of year. write soon to your friend
E. A. J.



Ella Jeffery was a friend of Anna Camfield. This is the last of only three letters by her that were kept by Anna. I found Ella on the 1870 census In Buchanan, Berrien, MI with her parents, Allen and Ester Jeffery, and siblings William, Catherine, Frederick and Edwin. Ella was still single and living with her parents on Sheridan St, Boston, MA at the time of the 1880 census. I haven't done any more research into the family.

Katie was Ella's older sister, Katherine.

I'm guessing that Mr + Mrs M refer to a family named McKnight. I have found several other references to the McKnight's in other letters but as of right now I'm not sure who they were.


Ella A. Jeffery,(Boston, MA) to “Friend Anna”
[Anna Camfield]. Postcard. 24 October 1875.
Digital Images 1-2. Privately held by Apple,
[ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,]
Snowville, New York. 2008.
[Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1875 - 1876,
Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

No comments: