Friday, November 28, 2008

Frances Baldwin, 9 Dec 1880








Ganges Mich. Dec 9th 1880
Dear Friend:
I received your welcome letter I was very glad o hear from you, But have neglected to answer till now. I am staying at Lucy’s yet. Her and Will are married, on thanksgiving eve. Mrs Plummers daughter Mrs. Weed was found dead in her bed. week ago last sunday morning. they had an examination by Dr. Bronson. it was decided an apoplexy fit. I am going to school now, the teachers name is Miss Hamilton. I think she is a nice teacher. There is a funeral in Plummerville today. a Mrs. Darling. Mr Spafford lives in the shop yet. Little Belle and Lulu have some new playmates now. Mr. White who worked for Mr. Hawley works for Mr. Grimes. Him and. He lives in the

page 2

house you lived in. Lucys wall is most all done they have been a long time building it. Lucy and Mrs. Spafford have made friends again. Mrs. Dornan has been very sick. she is better now. Thier son George and his wife are living with them. Mr. Tappins people are living here yet. We are having nice weather here, no snow here yet. I worked after you moved away all the rest of peach time for Mr. Dornan. Mary Jane left them for some reason, then they came and wanted me back again. Wall White has quite a family to live in the house. His sister and his 2 boys besides his wife. I believe he furnishes thier provision, he stays there nights and boards at Mr. Grimes. Our School is not very pleasant this winter the scholars are so rude it is not like it was last winter.

page 3

There was lots of apples sold out of the orchards here Mr. Plummer and Mr. Dornan’s apples I believe brought a good deal. Butter is 30 cents a lb. here some think it will bring 50 before spring. you will have to excuse me I am not a very good hand to compose letters. I guess I have written all I can think of for this time. from your friend
write often
Miss Frances
Baldwin




Per the 1880 census Frances was the 13 year old daughter of John H Baldwin. Her letter is very chatty and names many of the residents of Plummerville. I doubt that she was writing to Anna since they would have lived close to each other. The date on this letter is the same as the date of Anna's letter. My theory is that Anna offered to take it to the post office with hers and for whatever reason never got there.

For more see:
Camfield Family Letters
Descendants of Sarah Ann Wisner
Michael Camfield



Baldwin, Frances. (Ganges, MI) to “Dear Friend” [Intended recipient unknown]. Letter.
9 December 1880. Digital Images 1-3. Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Snowville, New York. 2008. [Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1880, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

No comments: