Saturday, November 1, 2008

Syracuse and Salt

Several months ago, before I started working on the letters to the exclusion of much else, I was looking at my Wisner ancestors and their time in the Syracuse, NY area. This led me to start looking at the salt industry in Syracuse.

Today I ran across these great videos on the Post Standard website about the Tully Valley, south of Syracuse and the second one has some good basic information and great pictures about the history of the industry. I am sharing them here as I think you will find them interesting even if you don't have ties to Central New York. They are about 5 minutes each. Skip down to the second one if you are only interested in the salt industry.

Bill Kappel of the USGS on the Geology of Tully Valley (Part 1)












Bill Kappel of the USGS on the Geology of Tully Valley (Part 2)












Links:
Video 1
Video 2

No comments: