Saturday, December 13, 2008

Sarah Ann Camfield, 19 Dec 1882








Noble Center Dec 19th 1882

Dear Children
we are well as usual and hope this wil find you the same
I have no news to write but thought I would write once more this year
now can you and your family come and spend the Holidays with us we would like ever so much to come there but cannot possibly leave home with so much to see to and take care of we have 100 and 20 sheep 12 head of horned cattle and 4 calves and 4 hogs but no pork only what we buy have not had since July we have got to but our pork for the next year if we dont buy hogs and fat I dont know where to get any

reverse

we are going to kill a small beef in a week or two if nothing happens to prevent I hope it will not turn out as that did the other year 5 horses to I forgot and nothing for them to do to earn their living we had a splendid crop of corn but no hay only alittle marsh hay it was so wet we did not get much of that so the corn and stalks wil have to winter the stock we are fatting 22 sheep
I want to send you some butter but the cold weather dried the cows so sudden I have not done it maybe I wil after a while we churn only once a week now

upside down, top of page

I wish you all merry Christmas and happy new year

S A and M Camfield

added page

Dec 20 1882

Anna you will remember
I promised to get you a bottle of Banums Balsom such as Ashley got when you was here I did not think of it until sometime after I got home and then Barnum had killed himself he was found dead in the cornfield back of the house with 5 large gashes in his face and neck with a raisor it lay under his head when they found him he had lain there 3 or 4 days when found I dont think I can get any now Mr and Mrs B were here yesterday and one of his Brothers Daughters from Illinois do you hear from Illinois I wrote in may and had no answer



Mr Barnum's end took me by surprise.

There were no letters in the file between 1881 and 1887 from the Illinois relatives.

For more see:
Camfield Family Letters
Descendants of Sarah Ann Wisner
Michael Camfield


Camfield, Sarah Ann Wisner. (Noble Center, MI) to “Dear Children” [Anna Camfield Carlisle]. Letter. 19 December1882. Digital Images 1-3. Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Snowville, New York. 2008. [Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1882 - 1883, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

No comments: