Saturday, December 6, 2008

Sarah Ann Camfield, 2 Jan 1882



Noble Jan 2d 1882

Dear ones all we are well and hope you are the same we have had so much rain this fall and winter so far now it is froze up and a very little snow not any to speak of it dont cover the ground only whitens it alittle but I hope the cold will keep pur pigs from dying you know we had 28 when you was here last fall we have sold 2 and now we have 16 or 17 left and 2 or 3 of them was sick this morning
we have not Butchered yet think we will this week we have only one to butcher

Father says thank her for my present and tel her I have wristlets enough to last me my lifetime them you gave me

reverse

8 or 9 years a go are as good as ever
I ment to have written last week but could not I was trying to get a new dress made but did not succeed I wil send

you a piece it was 8 cts per yard there has been just 2 women in our house since you was here they came to buy some pigs only stayed a few minutes yes Mrs B was here stayed two nights I had forgotten Emma Graves is crazy ana I suppose in Calamazoo insane assylum she was to be taken there the 2d of december I have not heard since Icannot write any more if you can read this you will do wel I have sold 100 pounds of butter since you left us
is J D Ross alive

S A Camfield



I laughed when I read the part about the writlets because it made me think about all the ties I gave my father and the dozen bottles of Old Spice in Grandpa's linen closet. A wristlet was not quite a mitten. I found this pattern in case anyone wants to whip some up for Christmas.
Text not available
The Complete Housekeeper By Emily Holt

I wonder what Anna sent Sarah?

Poor Emma! Luther Graves had a daughter named Emma.

For more see:
Camfield Family Letters
Descendants of Sarah Ann Wisner
Michael Camfield
Henry Bogardus, Shirt-tail Cousin


Camfield, Sarah Ann Wisner. (Noble, MI) to “Dear ones all” [Anna Camfield Carlisle]. Letter. 2 January 1882. Digital Images 1-2. Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Snowville, New York. 2008. [Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1882 - 1883, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

1 comment:

Miriam Robbins said...

My great-grandmother was institutionalized at Kalamazoo (Michigan) State Hospital during the 1920 Census. She later died at Cutlerville Psychopathic Hospital, a week before her 36th birthday. It is believed that she suffered from encephalitis lethargica, which some scientists speculate was caused by the Spanish Influenza.