Friday, January 30, 2009

Isaac Ashley Carlisle, 4 May 1889











South Bend May the 4th 1889
Well I told Orville when he was here if I did not get to work I should come home So I got to work fore a while from three to six weeks at the Sunday Bake is works I wont get any pay untill too weeks from last friday then I will send a post office order or come my self get $3.50 ades so I cant losse the time

page 2

I have got a cold it is beter now did Orvill give you the money I sent you So I dont know how you are geting along if Orvill wants to help paper let him if he wants to paint get the pante and set him at it
the Baby is well and grore alike a pig Bell conts the days when she can goe to see Fred and Frank Josy has got him a new

page 3

fish pole it cost him $5.00 So he will get all of the fish in the ponds I will take diner at Joses to day noon Charley Simones got his fingers cut of on wone hand his rite hand last week. I went to see him the next day thare was three others got hert the same week here. So I will close for this time as ever harbon I A Carlisle


I think Ashley is saying that he found work at Studebaker's. His brother Orville has been released from the hospital. He may be doing work at Ashley and Anna's to repay them for a loan they made him while he was recovering.

Ruby Blanche Camfield must be the baby Ashley refers to.

There were several men from Buchanan, MI with named Charles Simons or Simonds so I have no way of knowing exactly who lost their fingers.


For more see:
Camfield Family Letters
Descendants of Sarah Ann Wisner
Michael Camfield


Carlisle, Isaac Ashley. (South Bend, IN) “Well I told Orville”
[Anna Camfield Carlisle]. Letter. 4 May 1889. Digital Images 1-3.
Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,]
Snowville, New York. 2009.
[Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1887 - 1889,
Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

No comments: