Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Sarah Ann Camfield, 17 Feb 1898





Betavia Feb 17th 1898

Dear Children we are all wel and hope this will find you the same I have been wating for something to happen so as to have something new to write about but have conclude to write any way and write again the sooner Fred and Libby has just gone to her sisters in the buggy I suppose you have sleighing yet you had so much snow we have had sleighing afew days at a time twice this winter there was not more than 4 or 5 of snow either time I have been yo Bronson once that is all the sleighride I have had no we went up here to Church once we neve have so much snow this way as you do out there
I feel to sympathis with Mrs Robinson and tola in their bereavment
I have been expecting every time I heard from you to hear that Henry Brochuses wife was dead
I got the home all rite but sis not do any thing with it it was so old I was afraid it was not good and that if I had good bread I migh have to make it all the time and I did not want to be tied to it

page 2

my hyacinths are doing nicely tw of them have blossomed and two more will in about 2 weeks I think the Cryanthems are growing I put them in the celler and they begante grow so I brought them up and have them in the window my plants froze while we were there I thought the of are all dead Fred is 5 feet nine inches + three and three fourth inches and weigs about 100 and 60 pounds I knew he was near as big as Frank

from your Father and Mother

Mr and Camfield


Sarah must have been forcing bulbs.

I think I have figured out who Tola is. In other letters she is referred to as Toley or Tollie.It appears that she was the daughter of Parker and Clarinda Robinson.

On the 1860 census the family was living in Concord, Elkhart, IN. I believe she is eneumerated as Clarinda A Robinson, age 2, born IN

On the 1870 census the family is living in Buchanan, Berrien, MI and listed just before the Vorhees family. Here her name is recorded as Etola Robinson, age 12 born IN.

In 1880, still in Buchanan, age 22, with her parents and still next to Joseph and Elizabeth Vorhees but now called Louinda E. Robinson. From other letters it appears that both the Robinson's and Vorhees' were neighbors of the Carlisle's.

By 1900 her brother, Abner is living with his family next to Joseph and Elizabeth Vorhees but no sign of Toley or her parents.

Parker and Clarinda Robinson are buried in Oakridge Cemetery, Buchanan, MI - lot 20, plot 9. Based on this letter I guess Parker died in 1898 but his death record was not available at Seeking Michigan on 18 March 2009 when I looked for it.
EDIT 15 May 2010. Parker died 29 Jan 1898 and Clarinda "Classenda" died 16 Nov 1898. Both death certificates are available at SeekingMichigan.org.

In 1880 there were a couple of families in Buchanan named Broceus but none named Henry. I assume they were other neighbors.


For more see:
Camfield Family Letters
Descendants of Sarah Ann Wisner
Michael Camfield


Camfield, Sarah Ann (Batavia, MI) to “Dear Children”
[Anna Camfield Carlisle]. Letter. 17 February 1898 Digital Images 1-2.
Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,]
Snowville, New York. 2009.
[Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1898,
Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

No comments: