Sunday, March 22, 2009

Saturday Night Fun on Sunday

Randy's Saturday Night Fun at Genea-Musings for this week, has us chasing down our paternal grandmother's y-DNA. I still had not loaded my paternal file onto this computer so thanks to Randy I have finally gotten 'round tuit!

It's Saturday Night, so it's time for some genealogy fun. Since I've been searching for my Y-DNA matches (and haven't found any yet), I thought that some of you might be interested in tracing another Y-DNA line - that of your paternal grandmother.

The challenge is this:

Provide a list of your paternal grandmother's patrilineal line. Answer these questions:

* What was your father's mother's maiden name?

* What was your father's mother's father's name?

* What is your father's mother's father's patrilineal line? That is, his father's father's father's ... back to the most distant male ancestor in that line?

* Can you identify male sibling(s) of your father's mother, and any living male descendants from those male sibling(s)? If so, you have a candidate to do a Y-DNA test on that patrilineal line. If not, you may have to find male siblings, and their descendants, of the next generation back, or even further.

My father's mother was Mary Leith Kelly Berry, born 6 June 1900, Calabogie, Renfrew, Ontario, Canada and died 10 October 1970, Syracuse, Onondaga, New York. Her father was ........

James Kelly, born 18 March 1856, Adams, Jefferson, New York and died 10 October 1936 in Ontario, Canada. His father was.......

Michael Kelly, born between 1820 and 1830 somewhere in Ireland. He moved to Canada and later Adams, Jefferson, New York where it is assumed he died sometime between 1870 and 1880.

I have not traced the line back any further.

Sons of James Kelly:
  • James Hurcombe Kelly, 1892 - 1965; no children I know of.
  • Phillip Goodwin Kelly, 1898 - 1963; no children I know of
  • Alexander Craig Kelly, 1900 - 1962; he had one son, Leonard Craig Kelly, 1917-1962. I do not know if Leonard had any children.
  • Gordon Kelly, 1903 - 1913.
  • Joseph Kelly, born after 1911 and died before 1951; no children I know of.
So, at least as far as I know, there are no male descendants of James Kelly.

Sons of Michael Kelly:
  • John Kelly, b. abt 1853, d. bef 1900
  • James Kelly, covered above.
  • Phillip Kelly, b. 1857 or 1858 and died between 1917 and 1920, most likely in Watertown, Jefferson, NY. Phillip had at least three sons. The first was Charles Henry Kelly, b. 9 March 1881. Charles had two daughters but I am not aware of any sons. The other two sons of Phillip were Fred Kelly, b. 27 April 1883 and Robert W Kelly b. March 1885. I do not know if either had any sons.
  • William Kelly, b. abt 1862 and d. 25 Dec. 1896 Adams, Jefferson, NY. William had at least three sons. 1). Phillip, b 1881 and about whom I have no further information. 2). Bert Henry Kelly, b. Mar 1883 and d.1960. Bert had one son, Carroll K. Kelly b. abt. 1908 in Jefferson County, NY and d. June 1987, Oswego, Oswego, NY. Carroll had at least one son who may still be living and a grandson. 3). William Dwight Kelly, Sr, b. 31 July 1886 Adams, Jefferson, NY and d. 15 Dec 1956, Oswego, Oswego, NY. William had at least two sons, William Dwight Kelly, Jr and another son who may still be living. There are grandsons and great-grandsons of William Sr.
  • George H Kelly, b. abt. 1867 in NY. I know George had two daughters but I am not aware of any sons.
I have not actively worked on the Kelly line in over a year, instead focusing on my maternal line and the letters I have been transcribing. In January 2008 I discovered that I had Kelly cousins living in my zip code. I'm not sure what my hang-up is about contacting them but I have continued to put it off. Perhaps now is the time....... Stay tuned.

If any of my Kelly cousins stumble over this post I would love to hear from you! If you are in Oswego County I'd be happy to buy you breakfast at Mimi's or Wade's and get acquainted.

No comments: