Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Rose Graham Camfield, Aug 28, 1898





Sunday Afternoon

South Bend Aug 28

Dear Ann and all of you
I will now try to write you aletter to let you know we arrived home all right and the neighbors seemed glad to see us at home once more we had a very pleasant visit at the farm and my sister done all she could to make sure we enjoyed ourselves but the children all wanted to go back to aunt annas the first day or so but they enjoyed themselves

page 2

very well at the last few days My sister Jane me a new calico dress ready made she hired it made and other presents so you see with what you gave me it made my trip very profitable we had a splendid time at your house and we feel thankful to you all for it the first piece of news was the Death of Harry Perkins his people received a dispatch that he was very sick they went to bring him home but he died the next day after they

page 3

got there they brought the remains here home for burriel and he was buried the same afternoon I got home the whole neighborhood is in a state of gloom over the sad affair Bell was to the funeral they were play mate to gather in childhood his mother is prostrated with grief he was only 19 years old so Frank saw him for the last time in fernan dina I can’t find out by the papers where or what Franks regiment is going to do I see the first Illinois is coming home but can find out about the 2nd tell me when you write

page 4

Joe and the children have all gone to the park this afternoon so I take the chance to write letters and as I must write three more besides yours I must hurry Bell was here yesterday. she said she was going to write to Frank when you write don’t forget to tell us about frank the children are going to write to Danel and Tameson soon I am writing to Fred’s wife when I finish this the little handkerchief with the _otten edge di you find it Pearl says give it to Tamerson if she can work her ______

This letter was in the folder of undated letters but it is clear from the last two letters that it must be from 1898 as Rose and the children had visited with Anna in Buchanan, Berrien, MI. Then they went on to visit Rose's sister, Xenia Belle Graham Gallup and her husband John S. Gallup. As far as I know John and Belle had no children of their own. Their farm was near Dowagiac, Cass, MI. Sarah Jane Graham was another of Rose's sisters. I don't believe that she ever married and supported herself as a dressmaker. I have yet to locate Sarah Jane on the 1880 or 1900 censuses. I know that by 1910 she was living in Colorado Springs, El Paso, CO.


For more see:
Camfield Family Letters
Descendants of Sarah Ann Wisner
Michael Camfield


Camfield, Rose Graham. (South Bend, IN) to “Dear Ann and all of you”
[Sarah Ann Camfield Carlisle]. Letter. 28 Aug c.1890-1900.. Digital Images 1-4. Privately held by Apple,
[ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Snowville, New York. 2009.
[Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, Undated c. 1850-1899,
Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

No comments: