Thursday, December 10, 2009

15 Memories Until Christmas

John was transferred in 1989 and I found myself in Akron, NY, a couple of hours away from family for the first time in my life. The local Home Bureau chapter published an open invitation for new members and having been a member here, I went. Most of the ladies were seniors and all were at least 15 years older than me. I felt quite out of place at first but they welcomed me and became my local family.

One of the members had the same first name as me and crocheted this bell for me because despite years of trying she could never teach me to make them for myself. She and many members of the group have passed on now but I remember them all each Christmas.


This series originally appeared in 2006 at The Apple Doesn't Fall Far From the Tree. Some posts have been updated, others replaced.

No comments: