Saturday, March 13, 2010

Weekly Rewind

Carnivals and Roundups

The First Edition of  the Carnival of Genealogical Societies - Doin' Things Right has been posted by Kathryn Doyle at California Genealogical Society and Library. A very nice first edition! The topic for the next edition is Collaboration.

As usual, Randy Seaver had a great list of the Best of the Genea-Blogs at Genea-Musings including several items I had missed.

John Newmark's Weekly Genealogy Picks at TransylvanianDutch highlighted several posts that I never would have seen otherwise.

At The Ancestry Insider you'll find the latest edition of Insider Ketchup for 12 March 2010.


Weekly Reading

It seems like everyone wrote about Who Do You Think You Are? last week. Some were critical but for the most part the show seemed to be well received. I enjoyed the show and had an OMG moment at the end when she brushed the show off of Mary Easty's memorial. My favorite review of the show was written by Lisa Louise Cooke of Genealogy Gems News.

At Kimberly's Genealogy Blog, Kimberly Powell was able to track down some of the documents mentioned in the episode and you'll never guess where she found them! Small Nuggets - The Death of Gold Prospector John S. Hodge.

JamaGenie also wrote about WDYTYA at Saturdays Child and followed up with an interesting theory of why the Salem witch accusations started and ended.

T.K. shares A Few Thoughts on Standards at Before My Time and has created a poll to see what you think.

Lisa's, On babies and transatlantic crossings, at 100 Years in America was originally posted in 2008 and I thoroughly enjoyed rereading it!

I'm certain that Donna Pointkouski and I do not have the same mother but we do do have very similar memories! Check out The Address Book at What's Past is Prologue.

At The Family Curator, Denise Levenick brought back many memories for me with On My Honor, We Were Girl Scouts  When Scouting Wasn't Cool.

I have a couple of cabinet makers in my tree so I found footnoteMaven's March History Hare article, "Cabinet Maker - Undertaker" at the Graveyard Rabbit Online Journal very interesting.

I'm still waiting to see grass in my yard but Tipper is already Planting By The Signs For March 2010 at Blind Pig & The Acorn.

At Gen Journey, T Pratt is sharing a collection of letters and the history behind them.

Cat shared the story of her grandmother, Women's History Month - Just Like Me at Diggin up Dirt.

Joan Hill shared My Religious Melting Pot at Roots'n'Leaves. "The path at times frightening, torturous, and funny, but now tantalizingly simple --- sometimes punctuated with a chant and a shuffle."

At Crooked Lake Review, Dick Palmer shared an old newspaper article, Good Season on The Canal - 1906. The mention of families living on their boats was very interesting to me.


Facebook Finds

Hat tip to Cindi Howells of Cindi's list for pointing me to ProGenealogists article, Sarah Jessica Parker on "Who Do You Think You Are? Natalie Cottrill offers some insight about the research process that went into making the first episode of WDYTYA and then focuses on one document. I could not find a feed for ProGenealogists but they do have a fan page on Facebook.

Skip, who is an administrator at Unclaimed Persons, shared a link to a song by an old friend of hers, Wayne Renn, called Maple Street. Not only did I enjoy the music and lyrics but the pictures used for the video were very moving.

Via Megan Smolenyak's Fan Page I found a link to Oprah's pages for WDYTYA. From what I read about Emmitt Smith's episode I think it will be a good one.


Tech Corner

Randy Seaver at Genea-Musings: First Look at New FootNote Viewer

Thomas MacEntee at GeneaBloggers: QR Codes and Genealogy Part 1; Part 2: Resources for Linking

The Blogger Template Designer at Blogger in Draft


Denise at Family Matters: WeRelate Tip: Use Your Profile to Bookmark Your Pages




My Week

I have struggled with my COG submission and I don't know why. With the deadline looming I have anxiously been checking to see how many submissions have been made. My series on Sarah Ann will conclude tomorrow, just in time to meet the deadline - I just have to finish writing it! I've known for months that what the topic for this edition would be and who I'd write about and for the life of me I don't know why I put it off or why I'm finding it hard to write.

I spent a couple of hours poking around my Turner line without really accomplishing much.

Not a great week genealogy wise!

6 comments:

Family Curator said...

Thanks,Apple, for including my Scout post in your weekly wrap-up. I loved Girl Scouts; except the part about sleeping on the ground!

and thanks, too, for the update on some posts I missed. I always look forward to seeing what you've found.

Joan said...

Apple, I am always amazed at your ReWind -- you make it look easy, but so much work goes into it. Thank you for mentioning my post on "My Religious Melting Pot"-- it's sort of like baring my bones -- it may be funny to read, but not so much to live.

And thank you for your tech report -- I always find stuff that I dinna know. Thanks for the ReWind.

Donna said...

Thanks, Apple! There's a special genealogical category for long-lost-siblings-at-heart who have different parents. ;-)

footnoteMaven said...

Apple:

Thank you so much for the Cabinet Maker - Undertaker mention.

You know I don't use a reader, I always come by to chat and I must say I love the decorating. You are amazing.

-fM

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

Thanks for the weekly rewind. I'm new to blogging, so I like finding all the best new things to read and catch up on each Sunday night.

Lisa / Smallest Leaf said...

So much good stuff here, Apple! Thanks for the mention of my On babies and transatlantic crossings article. Glad you enjoyed it again.

Lisa
100 Years in America
Small-leaved Shamrock
A light that shines again
Carnival of Irish Heritage & Culture