- If you add a memorial you agree to manage it. I understand that typos happen but if I ask you to make a correction I feel you are obligated to do so, or transfer the memorial to someone who will.
- Ditto if I ask you add relationship links or other information.
- Is there a prize I'm not aware of for managing the most memorials?
- Copying newspaper obituaries is plagiarism and not allowed under FAG rules, so why are there so many there?
- What happens to memorials when contributors die?
- I find it maddening when a photo of a stone was added but not transcribed. If I can see that he died on May 10th certainly that should have been added rather than just the year.
- A search for the last name "Unknown" results in 21,085 records! 13,655 of those also have the first name "Unknown."
- Am I the only one that feels the need to poke around and see if I can find out a little more? For example today I had two stones next to each other. Her stone said she was the wife of Samuel and daughter of P & A Williams. The next stone was for S. Eugene. Ten minutes later I knew that her husband was Samuel Eugene and I also was able to determine her parents names and link them. (This led to an hour detour through old newspapers but I found some great stuff!)
- I really need to spend more time adding memorials for people I am related to.
- I also need to organize my virtual cemetery.
- There is a way to add someone even though you don't know where they are buried.
Friday, August 27, 2010
A Day Spent at Find A Grave
I spent most of the day today at Find A Grave. I spent a few minutes doing searches and then the rest of the day adding to Ellisburg Cemetery. The photos I have were taken over a year ago - so shame on me! Here are some random thoughts from today.