Saturday, January 1, 2011

My Plan for 2011

Last year I had really had only one goal and that was to get to Michigan and retrieve the remaining letters. It didn't happen.

2011 promises to be a year of big changes for me. In another few weeks I will finally be a snow bird and I am so looking forward to that! I think a warmer climate will go a long way to enabling me to recover my health and that will be my number one priority. I am much too young to feel so old! A new home and new community will surely take up much of my time. Due to our delay in leaving New York I had to order kerosene today and that effectively reduced my genealogy budget to $0.00.

So where does that leave me as far as genealogy research and writing?

I intend to refocus on the letters. I have decided to end the current batch of letters with Sarah Ann's death. Any letters after that also fall into the Carlisle set and I will add them there. I anticipate that many of the Carlisle letters will lead to further research of both people, places and events.

I have not researched my early New England ancestors because so many others have already done so. It's about time that I gathered and verified  information on my own and with so many of the early records available online for free it seems like a logical step to make. I do know that I will not find everything online but by finding what I can this year I can hope to search for and order records at some future date. At least I'll know what I have and what I lack. New research will of course lead to new things to write about ;-)

Almost all of what I consider to be my best writing has been either for the Carnival of Genealogy or some other prompt given me by someone else. Not knowing what the topics will be it's hard to plan too far ahead and I think I actually do better with a limited research/writing window.

While having nothing to do with my own research I hope to spend some time giving back by adding more memorials to Find A Grave. If any opportunities come along to transcribe newspaper articles or documents that would help a large number of people I hope to be able to do so and contribute to GenWeb.

I rarely know where a research trail will take me or when I'll veer off to some totally unplanned direction but I've found that those unplanned paths are always the most fun!

Bring on the new year - I'm ready!

Written for the 101st edition of the Carnival of Genealogy.
Thanks for the posted fM!

9 comments:

Nancy said...

Apple, I don't know where you're moving to but I hope it does your health and heart good. I hope you feel refreshed in both body and mind. And I wish you continued success with your genealogy and your blog. It's a good one!

Greta Koehl said...

I add my wishes that sunnier skies will add to health and happiness and look forward to more letters. And I feel much the same way as you do about the unpredictability of where research will lead - here's hoping we both get some great surprises this year!

Carol said...

Plan sounds good to me, will look forward to reading all about results in 2011. Happy New Year.

Michelle Goodrum said...

Congratulations on your new life as a snowbird. I hope it agrees with you well!

Family Curator said...

Apple, I have followed your journey with the family letters and been inspired. I think we have a lot in common, esp. the goal to honor our ancestor's stories through those letters.

I hope we will meet in person one day and can swap tales over a cup of tea.

Here's to health and happiness in 2011. Thanks for your encouragement,

Denise

TK said...

Best wishes for 2011, Apple!

Joan said...

Here's to sunny skies, warm weather, good health, and a jolly good time writing and researching.

Janice said...

Apple,

Here is to your health, happiness in your new home, and warmth within and without :) :)

Janice

Barbara Poole said...

I'm envious of some of your plans, esp. moving to Florida. If you decide to work on your NE lines, and need help, please let me know. I'm sure there will be times, we won't even know where you are posting from. So continue writing about anything, including your new area, the library, your family, your house, etc.