Saturday, February 26, 2011

Doughty, Douty, Dowty - Surname Saturday

I feel like I am just on the brink of pushing back another generation on my Doughty line. Close, but not quite there yet.

Me
>Mom
>>Pearl Vivian Camfield 1886-1972
>>>Susan Arazina "Rose" Graham 1852-1931
>>>>Elizabeth Doughty 1826-1880
>>>>>Littleton Doughty c1799-c1842
>>>>>>>Thomas S. Doughty c 1770-?

Thomas S. Doughty married Susanna Turner 2 Aug 1797, Northampton County, Virgina. They are siad to have had six children:
Thomas Doughty c 1798
Littleton Doughty c 1799-1844
William Doughty c 1800-1833
John Doughty c 1801
Caty or Catherine Doughty c 1803, married Mr Taylor
Margaret Doughty c 1804-1838, married William W. Andrews.

Beyond Thomas S. Doughty I'm just guessing but I think there may be a clue in the name of his son, Littleton. Of course if there is a family connection it could from the Turner side of the family but I found the following quite interesting.




So Anne Southey Littleton mentioned Rev. Francis Doughty in her will. This of course proves nothing but it is proving an interesting line to look at. Francis Doughty was quite a character and much has been written about him. So while I am at a standstill working back from Thomas I'll take a little detour and see if Francis leads me anywhere.

4 comments:

Lidian said...

I'll be following your Doughty research with great interest! If you descend from Rev. Francis then that will make us distant cousins - my ancestor Mary (Doughty) Hicks was Francis' granddaughter :)

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Right area and lots of little things that point that way but I think I'll have to spend some time in Virginia digging to know for sure. Rev. Francis sure is interesting to follow!

Joan said...

I'll be watching your research. I have a Duty in my ancestors ---and Littleton appears to be related as well. I haven't looked at the research for quite some time -- hopefully can go back to it soon.

BTW, nice to see you here.

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

Maybe this will lead you to Ned Doty of the Mayflower? Fingers crossed...