Monday, October 22, 2007

Ghosts of Halloween - All Grown Up

We were still living in Liverpool when we became grandparents. We also gained a daughter-in-law who was born Oct. 31 so Halloween became a double celebration. Mike & Alex will always associate Halloween with birthday cake. Mike's first year of trick or treating was around our neighborhood.

Mike & Angie 2001

In 2002, John was transfered again and we returned to Akron. The two years that we were there BJ, Angie and the boys came out to trick-or-treat and spend some time with us. PJ, Jae and the girls went to their other grandmothers. We did get to see Nikki, the week before, in one of the cutest costumes I've ever seen. That's her on the right as a chicken. There was a little fan built in to keep it blown up. We couldn't help but laugh when we saw her. Our laughter upset her so much that she wouldn't wear the costume to trick or treat, but went as Barney instead.
Mike, Alex, Nikki 2002

Now that we're living in Snowville the only trick-or-treaters we get are Mike and Alex. They always stop by on their way to their other grandmother's as she lives in a nice, well lit housing development. (We live so far out that the kids next door don't bother coming over, instead they head to their grandparents.) We do work on Halloween decorating and crafts when they are here for kid's night. It's been years since I've made a Halloween costume. I was with Bean when she bought Sprout and Twig their costumes this year and I hope that they stop out for their first ever night of trick or treating.

I do have 100+ other kids at work each day who are busy talking about the upcoming parties that they'll be attending, the costumes that they'll wear and where they'll be going trick or treating. This year, at work, we're having a combination trick or treat - school bus safety event that I'm hoping will become and annual thing. It has me a little excited about Halloween this year. Who knows, if it goes well I may make myself a costume for next year.


This is the third in a series of Halloween memories.

Ghosts of Halloween - My Childhood

Ghosts of Halloween - My 2nd Childhood

No comments: