Thursday, November 22, 2007

Dear Santa

Dear Santa,

I saw you in the parade today and you looked great! Was that a new suit you were wearing? Seeing you reminded me that I needed to get my annual letter written.

First I want to thank you for bringing me The Master Genealogist last year even though I can't seem to master it. And thank you also for filling the toe of my stocking with coins for the parking meters downtown. I still have them! I didn't get to the Onondaga County Library even a single time this year. Instead I spent my time at the Library of Mom and she doesn't charge for parking.

The scanner and digital camera that you brought me years ago both were so out-dated that I had to replace them earlier this year. I seem to go through laptops and I have a new one of those too.

Last year I saved my most important request for last and I'm afraid that you must have missed it as it wasn't under the tree. I can't tell you how disappointed I was! Now I've taken care of most of the big ticket items so I really don't think that it's all that much to ask for. Just a single piece of paper that tells me who the parents of William Wisner were. If you really feel that that is too much to ask for maybe you could just leave me a little hint; something that will point me in the right direction. You brought me Wisner's in America a couple of years ago but I swear to you he's not in there! Yes, the book is full of William's but not my William.

Becky and Thomas both seem to think that I need an external hard drive. I've been looking at them online and I really can't decide which one would be best for me so I'll leave the choice up to you and the elves.

Every year I've asked you for CD's so that I can back up everything. I know I haven't been as good about backing things up as I should have been but I really don't think that I've been so bad as to make the naughty list. Instead of a big heavy stack of CD's this year maybe you could toss a couple of flash drives in my stocking. (Yes, I know I already asked for an external hard drive for backups but I need to be able to have duplicate copies to store someplace else in case John can't keep up with the raking and the house collapses!)

On second thought, I guess I'm going to need some more CD's after all. I really want to put some family history and pictures together to send to family members and CD's are probably the easiest way to do that.

Another thing that I would really like is a picture of Grandpa Kelly. He wasn't a real popular guy around these parts and nobody saved one for me. I haven't been able to find one for sale so I guess I'll have to count on you and some Christmas magic to find one. He was James Kelly of Ottawa, Ontario. And if you find any other tidbits about him while you're tracking down the picture, I'd sure appreciate that too.

I don't want to seem greedy so the only other thing that I'll ask for is a few books. I could really use some books about the Revolutionary war as I think I'm close to getting the facts straight about Capt. Daniel Carlisle. And because I don't spend all of my time thinking about genealogy you could bring me an advance copy of Plum Lucky by Janet Evanovich. It's official release date isn't until January 8, 2008 - what's up with that! But I Believe and I'm certain that you'll know how to get it for me.

I'll be sure to leave out a plate of Noel Wreath Cookies for you because I know how much you like them. There will be lots of carrots for Rudolph and the rest of the reindeer.

Love,
Apple

7 comments:

Jasia said...

Hey Apple, if you do get Plum Lucky for Christmas can I borrow it when you're done reading it? Please? I've been good too!

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

If Santa can pull off an advance copy you certainly can borrow it!

Annie in Austin said...

The external hard drive is something we talk about, too, Apple - all those photos and census jpg's, and draft card images are precious!

For some reason I couldn't get the comment to work on your other blog - just was glad to read you had a nice Thanksgiving [my only responsibility was pie] with no Pepe le Pew and that you'll see the girls every day.

Maybe that Wisner paper will show up in your stocking!

Annie at the Transplantable Rose

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Hi Annie,

I filled my 2gig flash drive today so I need something. John doesn't think I can fill a big external drive but I'm betting I can!

I'm quite relieved that I'm going to be seeing the girls every day. Jae could easily give us a hard time but she's putting the girls best interest first.

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

I've done my wish list too :)

I hope Santa considers that you've been a good girl this year and puts the entirity if your wish list under your Christmas tree this year.

Good luck! :D

Janice said...

Apple,

I think there are enough people around who will vouch that you've been a good girl this year. Hoping you get at least one thing on your list!

Janice

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Nikki-Ann & Janice,
Maybe if enough of you vouch for me Santa will believe I've been good! But I've heard he knows everything so maybe I should prepare myself for a lump or two of coal ;)