Tuesday, February 26, 2008

GeneaTech

The topic for the 43rd edition of the Carnival of Genealogy is Technology. I do not use a computer at work and consider myself tech-challenged. But I really didn't start my genealogy quest until we got our first home computer and now it's hard to imagine not having one.

Picking one piece of hardware, other than my computer has been incredibly difficult.
Resist the urge to dilute the impact of your 3 choices by mentioning several others you use and appreciate as well.
So being able to only pick one, I will pick my 8 gig flash drive. I can backup all of my files to it. Losing all that I have work to learn would be devastating, so this is my pick.

The others were very easy for me.

My one piece of software is Family Tree Maker 2005. I have two other programs but I am most familiar with FTM so I stick with it. I can easily add notes, sources and pictures and have them all organized in one place. I can easily figure out who was (or wasn't) related to who. I can see an entire line in a few clicks rather than going from one paper file to another.

For my one website there is no question - The US GenWeb Project. With ancestors that marched across the country, this site has been indispensable to me. Most know about the individual state and county sections but many overlook the Archives and Special Collections. Everything on the site is free and new files are continuously added. You can also share any records you may have with others by submitting them.

3 comments:

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

I meant to participate in this COG but never got around to it. My computer is a must for my research, as is my camera and various websites (I don't think I could pick just one!).

Anonymous said...

Apple,

I need to upgrade! I've got a 1 Gig Flash Drive but I could really use one as big as that. I am so worried about losing everything I have. I haven't backed up my research in a while because I recently moved and haven't had the time. I think now would be a good time to upgrade!

The US GenWeb Project is great. I haven't used it much lately but it was indispensable for me in the beginning of my research. I think sometimes I would be well served by going back to the basics!

Janice said...

Charlotte,

I agree with you that USGenWeb is very amazing... and free to boot!

Janice