Monday, September 1, 2008

Ella McKinnon to Annie Carlisle March 13, 1912

Mapleton Minn
March 13th 1912

Dear Cousin
I ought to have written to you sooner. but to tell the truth I scarcely know what to say at such a time although I know that Auntie was ready to go and at her age was really anxious to lay down her trials & all to be with your father. I would have liked to have seen her once more but I do not like to travel very well or I perhaps might have come out there. We cannot wish her back but I know you will be lonesome for a while and will often go to speak to her. I know

Page 2

after my mother was gone I used to think of something to say to her and think I must write such news to Mother then would come to the thought “I cannot write to her any more” and it did not seem right hardly. but I knew she was wanting to be with father and I could not wish her back again if it was lonesome to think I could not write to her. I was looking for a very pretty Easter card to send to Auntie but I will try and send it to you. When I got your letter that day I some how knew almost what I would read for I was thinking of you all the morning I could not help but think about it when I got the news

We are having spring weather now all the time for it is so changeable it will snow a little while then the sunshine then it will be cold then thawing so on I am in hopes it will warm up soon as it is such a time for colds one does not get over one before you get another
I think I will put some tomato seed in one of these days some have then in now.
Well I guess I will quit for to night by again assuring you of my heart felt sympathy in your sorrow but I know you do not sorrow with out hope of some

Page 3

day meeting her never more to part of course we all know that her work here was done or she would not have been called even yet if she was old and past her usefulness in one way still as you tell of her life she was not like some that were many years younger. for she could be around and wait on herself until the last

Well I will say good night and write again
Ever your loving cousin
Ella McKinnon



For more see:
Carlisle - Wisner Letters
Family of William Wisner
Descendants of Maryetta Wisner
Descendants of Sarah Ann Wisner
Margie's Ancestors - McKinnon Pictures



McKinnon, Ella Hall (Mapleton, Minnesota) to “Dear Cousin” [Sarah Ann Camfield Carlisle]. Letter. 13 March 1912. Digital Images 1-2. Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Snowville, New York. 2008. [Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1912, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

No comments: