Monday, November 17, 2008

Memories on Monday - Rotted Floorboards

You never know what will spark a memory! Last night on the news (ABC?) there was an interview with President-elect Obama and future First Lady, Michelle Obama. She was reminiscing about when they were dating and the fact that his car had rotted floorboards.

When we were kids the floorboards had rotted out in the back seat and we covered the hole with a piece of wood. I remember being afraid of falling through. I wish I could remember what type of car it was but the best I can come up with is blue four door. It must have been when I was about 11 or 12.

Then there are the stories of one of John's cars in college. Perhaps I shouldn't repeat the whole story here but the hole in the floor made it convenient for his friends to dispose of trash.

By the time I met John that car was long gone. The floorboards in the red Dodge that he had at the time were just fine. The front quarter panels had rusted through though. When he picked me up for our first date I was greeted with a car literally held together with duct tape! He got a brand new car a few months after we started dating but we kept that old Dodge for several more years. We called it the "dump car" because the only time we drove it was to go to the transfer station.

Of course thinking about those cars led to thoughts of other cars. I've already written about them in Cars as Stars!, my submission for the 45th edition of the Carnival of Genealogy.

No comments: