Thursday, December 11, 2008

Dear GeneaSanta

Dear GeneaSanta,

I know I have written you long letters requesting lots of things and you have been very generous. This year I have limited my list to just three things, three very precious things from the past that may very well exist still today. I hope that with your magical powers you can track them down for me.

My first wish is for a quilt made by my great-grandmother, Anna Camfield Carlisle. The letters I have been transcribing often refer to her and her mother's quilting projects. Mom remembers always having heavy, warm quilts in the house when she was growing up. Any of these quilts would be a treasure so I'll leave the choice up to you.

My second wish is for the family bible of Michael and Mary Kelly of Adams, NY. I don't know for certain that such a bible ever existed but most families had one. What treasure might it hold? I don't know where in Ireland they came from. I'm not certain I have recorded all of their children or grandchildren. I know nothing of their siblings or even Mary's maiden name. Michael died between 1870 and 1880 but Mary was still living in 1900. Some of their descendants are living in Canada and others in Jefferson and Oswego counties in NY. Some have moved much further away. I think this item will be the biggest challenge but I know if anyone can pull it off it is GeneaSanta!

My last wish is to be able to see and copy or photograph the diary of my 4th great-grandfather, Captain Daniel Carlisle. This may be the easiest of the three to find. On a tree at rootsweb I found this note:
His diary was held by Linus Aldrich of Princeville, IL. An effort was
going to be made to get it and give it to the Walpole Library.
Just so you don't have to duplicate my efforts I have received no response from either the owner of the tree or from the Walpole Library. I'm interested in the diary no matter what it contains but I'm really hoping it will give his version of events leading up to his being cashiered in 1776 or perhaps recount how he rescued Samuel King from the sherriff in 1782. Even it if just tells of his days of running a public house in Westmoreland, NH it will be a treasure to me.

I know you'll do your best GeneaSanta!

Apple

Christmas Dividers

This was written for the 63rd edition of the Carnival of Genealogy, Three Wishes to be hosted by Jasia at Creative Gene.

2 comments:

footnoteMaven said...

Apple:

As one of the most dedicated geneaBloggers, family historians; and as one of my personal favorites I hope you are grated your three wishes!

-fM

P.S. The new photograph of you is beautiful!

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Thanks FM! You're very sweet.