Thursday, December 11, 2008

Sarah Ann Camfield, 24 Aug 1882








Noble Center August 24 th
1882
Dear Children
we received your letter this after noon was very sorry to here such bad news
we are well at present I am drying Apples and canning black berried and doing the rest of the work and have made myself a dress last week and have hired one made so you see I have two we expected to thrash this week but it rained so we shall not
I will send the money by the first mail after getting your letter I expect Mr and Mrs Bogardus every minute I have had a girl 5 weeks this summer the rest I have been alone

reverse

if I figure right since the first of april I have sold 513 pounds of butter I dont weigh what we use that would be some for out hired man dont eat apiece of cake or pie with out butter and every thing acording
tel Mrs Woods when you see her how much butter I have made see if she dont think I have worked
write as soon as you can and lett me know if this comes all rite
S A Camfield

I am so tired cant any more and it is supper time

written sideways, near bottom of page

I have packed 30 pound tub today butter I mean

now it is the 9th 1882

I hope you got the money all right I wrotte this letter and went to Bronson to mail it and when I got there I had the letter you sent me instead of the one I had written


Because I am working from images rather than the actual letters, it is often hard to tell when something has been added at a later time. In this case 1882 may have been added by someone else.

I'm not certain what bad luck has befallen Anna and Ashley however another letter in the Carlisle batch indicates that Ashley may have been ill.

It is assumed that Mrs Wood was one of Sarah Ann's former neighbors from when she lived in Buchanan.

For more see:
Camfield Family Letters
Descendants of Sarah Ann Wisner
Michael Camfield
Henry Bogardus, Shirt-tail Cousin


Camfield, Sarah Ann Wisner. (Noble Center, MI) to “Dear Children” [Anna Camfield Carlisle]. Letter. 24 August 1882. Digital Images 1-3. Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Snowville, New York. 2008. [Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1882 - 1883, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

No comments: