Friday, December 26, 2008

Fred Camfield, 4 Jan 1885





Jan 4
1885

Dear Auntie
will you send my rubber c_ert
What did Frankie get for Kris-
tmas I got a quotr [something crossed out]
in my stocking and some c__
dig with it Mable got a big
doll and some candi a and o trun
full of clothes this is is the
seccond letter [crossed out] letter [crossed out] here
here rote to doy to _____ ____
go to schooll and _will ____
and I will be in the third Bell
will be in the second grade
to morro I went to Sunday
school Momma is reading
me a storry out of my [crossed out]
Sunday school [crossed out] it was a
good story I wish you could read
the book

reverse

From Freddie Canfield
South Bend
Ind
1885



This letter was very hard to transcribe so I have done it line by line in case someone else can puzzle it out.

Fred would have been ten at the time he wrote this and Mabel eight. They were the children of Joseph and Rose (Graham) Camfield

For more see:
Camfield Family Letters
Descendants of Sarah Ann Wisner
Michael Camfield


Camfield, Frederick Harrison. (South Bend, IN) to “Dear Auntie” [Anna Camfield Carlisle]. Letter. 4 January 1885. Digital Images 1-2. Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Snowville, New York. 2008. [Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1884 - 1886, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

2 comments:

Miriam Robbins said...

Apple,

I wonder if Freddie was asking Anna to send his rubber quirt (his spelling is a bit off, so he may have tried to spell it as cuert or cwert, etc.). A quirt was a small riding whip, and lots of little boys of this era enjoyed having a toy one.

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Thanks Miriam. I never would have thought of a toy quirt.