Thursday, February 12, 2009

Isaac Ashley Carlisle, 23 June 1890







June the 23rd 1890

Dear Anna and Children.
Wall my fingers stand
the racket all right.
I am work on a
chool house now I
will get thrue thare
this week I will trie
and get on the
Stude Baker Jobe
I was up to Lilles
to day She has Binn
sick but beter now
so she dos her onn
work now. Lida has
bin out to her fockls

page 2

Lida is goi nto brakup
keeping house this
week seel of her
things so she sed
Bell is at Atlanta
yet she may not come
home fore some time.
Bell will rite ord. I
will so Jack can come
after them. mamey
is picken Bareys
now ernt three
doalars this week
Daniels picture
suits well I give e
mamey wone also
rosey. how the Baby
grose so good By
as ever A I Carlisle

page 3

monday night
hot hoter
work all
day
lade minty
feet this
after
noon
some tired

Lillian Carlisle was Ashley's niece, the daughter of Orville. In 1889 she married Thomas O Ghrist. On the 1900 census they were living in Penn Twp, St Joseph, IN.

Lydia Bartlett Carlisle was Ashely's sister-in-law, wife of Orville. This letter and previous references to Orville made me wonder if they were separated.

Clara Belle Carlisle was another of Orvile and Lydia's daughters. I wonder what she was doing in Atlanta and how long she stayed there. She married Isaac Sewell about 1896 and was in Nashville, TN by 1910.

Mary Frances "Mamie" Carlisle was the last of Orville and Lydia's children. She married Ashley and Anna's son, Frank.


For more see:
Camfield Family Letters
Descendants of Sarah Ann Wisner
Michael Camfield


Carlisle, Isaac Ashley. (South Bend, IN) to “Dear Anna and Children”
[Anna Camfield Carlisle]. Letter. 23 June 1890. Digital Images 1-3.
Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,]
Snowville, New York. 2009.
[Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1890,
Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

No comments: