Friday, March 6, 2009

Sarah Ann Camfield, 10 September 1895





Noble sept 10th 1895

Dear Children [upside down, "write soon"]

I suppose you think I am not going to write to you any more but I am if I live longenough we are all well Father seem to be feeling well he can stand it work as well as ever for the last 3 or 4 months I can say with truth that I never felt any better in mylife than I have ofcourse I have not the strenghth to banground as I usedto I do not see the need of it I go round and do my work content and happy as a king I spend my time singing instead of grunting

one week ago last sunday Father and I went about 6 miles to Fawnriver and was bapised and last sunday we went to Fawnriver whare we went to mill when we was at buroak we went theere to Church about 10 miles and Joined the Church

2

they all say I look twenty years younger the minister said from the pulpit sister Camfield looks 20 years younger I partly believe it for I feel it I think some times I could say 40 with a clear concience it seems to be almost americle here they think weare so old to be converted and be baptised and join the church the minister said he neve heard of so old persons being baptised in his life the oldest he ever baptised was 64 years old

we have a good crop pf corn this year and our wheat was pretty good but the hay was pretty short but it was as good as any bodyelses so we wont courplain Fred is away cutting corn so we are alone at present he will be home friday to cut ours

upside down, top of page

Fred + we Joined the same Church minonites that x belongs to the reformed

S A Camfield
god bless you all


In earlier letters Sarah and Anna talked about "going to meeting." I wonder what church that referred to and why they decided to join the Menonite church so late in life. Sarah does sound joyful!

For more see:
Camfield Family Letters
Descendants of Sarah Ann Wisner
Michael Camfield


Camfield, Sarah Ann (Noble, MI) to “Dear Children”
[Anna Camfield Carlisle]. Letter. 10 September 1895 Digital Images 1-2.
Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,]
Snowville, New York. 2009.
[Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1895,
Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A real insight into how joyful you feel directly relates to how you look! She certainly sounded like she was totally thrilled!