Thursday, April 2, 2009

Mabel Camfield Marsh, Aug 29, 1898



Mrs B H Marsh
104 So, St Louis St.
South Bend Ind
Aug 29th 1898

Dear Aunt Anna

I have just finished writing a letter to Frank and thought I would write you a few lines. I didn't come home Wednesday as I intended. Lenora was determined to help me until Thursday so I stayed with her but I don't believe I could have stayed away another day for all the money in Niles because I was homesick after I left your house. I wanted to come home. If Mama had come early to the train that morning I would have seen them but I had no idea they were going that day. You had quite a time of it Aunt Anna. I left Tuesday eve and the rest came Thursday. I have been buisy since I came home I have pieced a worsted comfortable

page 2

with Mother Marsh help I dident cut the pieces diamond as I told you I would. I found I wouldent have enough and I am working the seams withe floss. Mrs Vanordstrand was over here almost a week and she told me to set is the blocks together withstrips of bright red and line it with red. after I finish it I am going to begin my basket quilt. I was over to see Mama Saturday she told me she had a lovely time so did the children. I had butternuts for a week after I got home they tasted so good I dident give any body any oh Ben ate a few but I mean the rest of the folks. Glen Drew is here from Buchanan he is Ben's cousin. and we are all going to Hudson Lake tomorrow to a picnic then he is going home from there it is the Paxon reunion I hope we will have a good time it is the first day Ben has had this summer. since we were married in fact. This is the third letter I have writen this morning so I will close. With Love to all

Mabel

She was always known by family members as Belle up until her marriage to Benjamin Marsh. I really have not looked into Ben's genealogy so I do not know his exact relationship to Glen Drew.

For more see:
Camfield Family Letters
Descendants of Sarah Ann Wisner
Michael Camfield


Marsh, Mabel Camfield (South Bend, IN) to “Dear Aunt Anna”
[Anna Camfield Carlisle]. Letter. 29 August 1898. Digital Images 1-2.
Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,]
Snowville, New York. 2009.
[Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1898,
Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

No comments: