Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Tombstone Tuesday - Ellisburg Cemetery


Yesterday I had a nice visit with my sister. Our schedules don't often allowed us to get together. Knowing that I would be heading north I checked on Find-a-Grave to see if there were any requests for the cemetery near her house and wrote down the information.

I was very surprised at the size of Ellisburg Cemetery as it is a very small town. The cemetery is very well kept and except that it was chilly I quite enjoyed strolling around. I could just hear South Sandy Creek bubbling along in the background and the birds were quite entertaining. I didn't find any of the headstones on my list but I didn't have time to cover the entire cemetery so they may be there. I'll plan to spend an entire day the next time I visit so I'll have time both to walk the cemetery and to take a wild flower walk along the creek.





2 comments:

TheGeneticGenealogist said...

Isn't it beautiful there? My family has been there for over 200 years now, and as a result I'm related to practically everyone in the cemetery! My wife and I plan to buried there ourselves.

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

It is very beautiful and peaceful there. I noticed several stones with your surname and was surprised at how many other surnames I recognized. Vandals have destroyed so many of the old stones in Phoenix and other cemeteries that I've visited lately that it was amazing the see the older section in Ellisburg.