Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Tamerson L Carlisle, Sept 9, 1902

The next letter was written by Tamerson to her mother, Anna. Anna was visiting Frank and Mamie but I'm not certain exactly where they were living.

Dear mother,

I received both of your cards and was glad to get them. We were afraid you would miss your train and have to wait all night at Benton Harbor.

I know that Frank and Mamie were living in Hartford, Michigan in 1903 and a change of trains in Benton Harbor would have made sense if that is where they were in 1902.

The reason for Annie's visit?
How long do you intend to hold that baby? It says in the paper that it was born last Friday.

Frank and Mamie's first child (and Anna's first grandchild), Clara Frances Carlisle was born 31 August 1902. Clara Frances was named for Mamie's sister, Clara Belle Carlisle Sewell and Frances was Mamie's middle name - Mary Frances Carlisle.

The rest of Tamerson's letter talks about school and how the family is getting along in Anna's absence. Apparently Daniel was working as she says:
Daniel was over last Tuesday evening and split some wood for me. He told me if I heard from his - gun to let him know and as I got a postal yesterday, I took it to the R.R. track this morning. I took a pencil + some paper so he wrote a letter to you.


For more see:
Camfield Family Letters
Descendants of Sarah Ann Wisner
Michael Camfield


Carlisle, Tamerson Louisa (Buchanan, MI) to “Dear mother”
[Anna Camfield Carlisle]. Letter. 11 September 1902. Digital Images 1-6.
Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,]
Snowville, New York. 2009.
[Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, Apr – Dec 1902,
Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

No comments: