Saturday, September 26, 2009

What Is and What Could Be

This was written for the 81st edition of the Carnival of Genealogy, Blog Obituary, to be hosted at Tracing the Tribe.

What would I like to see written if my blog disappeared ten years from now?

What would be written if it happened today?


Genealogy World
Circulation 250 Million


September 26, 2019

Apple's Tree Ceases Publication

Snowville, NY - Genealogists world wide will be shocked to learn that Apple's Tree, one of the most highly rated family history blogs of the last decade will cease publication after a final, farewell post today by blog author, Apple.

Apple's Tree began in 2006 and quickly gained a small following of other genealogy bloggers through participation in the Carnival of Genealogy. The blog struggled the first three years and almost folded in 2009 according to author Apple. "It was great fun when I started but there came a time when I started worrying about building a following and blogging became work. Another job was the last thing I needed. When it stopped being fun the quality went right down the drain. I stopped worrying about who was reading and went back to writing for myself and the rest is history!"

Since mid 2010 Apple's Tree has consistently entertained readers with biographical sketches, articles on both local and regional history, how to tips and family history stories.

When asked, "Why stop now?', Apple responded, "I've written all I know about my family, transcribed all the records and letters I've been able to find. I've finally retired from my day job and I plan to travel the country and visit all of the places my ancestors did and meet some cousins along the way. After that I plan to re look at what I have written and publish several books."

Although there will be no new articles published at Apple's Tree the archives will be maintained as a valuable resource for other family historians.

Apple assures us that she will still be checking in with her blogging friends and commenting on their work.


A girl can dream can't she? In truth, were I to cease publication today, the article would look more like this:

GeneaVillage Gazette
Circulation 250

December 14, 2009

The editors have learned that Apple's Tree ceased publication sometime back in September. We only noticed that the blog had disappeared when we were asked if we had a link to "that letter blog."

Apple's Tree got off to a shaky start less than three years ago but after a few months started to show promise and picked up a small following. There was a two year period when there were well written articles on a range of topics, however earlier this year quality articles were supplanted with day after day of boring letter transcriptions and not much else. We're told that readers unsubscribed in droves and who could blame them?

The comments left by blog author, Apple, will be missed by all. However the blog itself will be missed only by a few of it's loyal followers and is no great loss to the Genea-blogging community.


I have been dissatisfied with the direction that Apple's Tree has taken over the last several months and I'd like to thank all of you that have stuck with me. I will continue to publish the transcriptions of my family's letters however I will be making a concerted effort to shift the focus of this blog back to family history and research.

Carnival poster courtesy of footnote Maven.

9 comments:

Jasia said...

Me thinks you're a bit too hard on yourself, Apple girl!

I read your blog faithfully. I look forward to and love reading all the letters you transcribe. I find it fascinating to learn about life in Michigan at the turn of the century. It never gets boring for me.

However, I must admit I do miss your other posts. You really are a terrific writer and I miss your articles. Perhaps you could begin or end each week with a letter or two and write an article or two in between letters? There's nothing that says you have to go with all one type of post or the other. What's that they say?... "everything in moderation". I think I read that in one of your letters, didn't I?

Jasia said...

Oops! I forgot to say, "good job" on the blog obit!

Greta Koehl said...

I am one of the people who loves the letters, but I also love your regular writing. I also struggle to keep that balance; the most recent approach I have taken is to put the "meat and potatoes" (= drier research-type articles) up once a week, usually Friday, and do at least one "feature" type article a week, and any week with more than that is a good blogging week. Good luck with whatever approach you choose, but I think you do really have a faithful audience.

Donna said...

Good one, Apple - very creative. I second Jasia and Greta that I enjoy both your letters AND your other writing, too. For the record, your blog WOULD be a big loss to the geneablogging community!

Donna
What's Past is Prologue

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Thanks ladies! I do appreciate those of you who read the letters. Without you I'd probably set them aside and that would be a mistake.

Jasia - You know that I've been Crabby Apple for awhile now. I was intentionally hard on myself - I needed a good kick in the ass!

Greta - I have a new plan. The trick will be to force myself to implement it! If I can get one good post a week in between the letters it will be a good start.

Donna - I haven't been such a good member of the community of late. I've skipped I don't know how many carnivals and while I have attempted to keep up with everyone else's writing I haven't bothered to break out of my reader and leave comments very often. So I really appreciate that you guys took the time to encourage me!

GrannyPam said...

I read everything you write. I hope you will find a way to enjoy and be satisfied with what you write!

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Thanks Pam! I've already started making some changes in how I manage my time online and once I get past my big event at work I should, hopefully, be back on track.

Kathryn Doyle said...

Apple,
I agree that you are too hard on yourself! There are only so many hours in the day and I'm finding that blogging is like so much in life - there's an ebb and flow. This blog-obit exercise is giving us all a chance to express how much we appreciate our fellow genea-bloggers. Thanks for Apple's Tree!

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Kathryn - Thank you! I could use several extra hours a week, especially at this time of year.