Sunday, October 4, 2009

Francis Ashley Carlisle, Nov 15, 1905


B. F. GALLAWAY
PASTOR FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH

CEDAR SPRINGS MICH
Nov 15 '05.

Dear mother and all:-

Well here I am in Michigan again about a hundred miles north of you, holding revival meetings for a friend of mine. As I was coming up here I met Ira Boyer on the train and he told me of fathers accident. I was glad to hear that he was doing better now.

Mamie is feeling much better now and the children are well as we are quite hopefull again.

I was glad that Dan got back from his western trip and found there was no place like home.

well I am very buisy now so I will close hopeing that you will be ale to read this better than my ususal scrawl.

Give my love to all.

FRANK.

What accident!? Sometimes the letters pose questions that are impossible to answer.

For more see:
Camfield Family Letters
Descendants of Sarah Ann Wisner
Michael Camfield


Carlisle, Francis Ashley (Chicago, IL) to “Dear Mother + All”
[Anna Camfield Carlisle]. Letter. 15 November 1905. Digital Image.
Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,]
Snowville, New York. 2009.
[Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1905,
Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

2 comments:

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

Very intreging! Do you think you'll find other letter which might mention the accident?

Interesting to see a letter dating from 1905 being typed :)

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Nikki-ann - It's possible I missed something about Ashley's accident in the Carlisle set of letters but scanning them quickly didn't reveal anything. He had Parkinson's and I would if this signaled the start.

Typewriters were in use in the 1800's but they weren't all that common in 1905. Much easier than making out his writing!