Saturday, January 2, 2010

Weekly Rewind

Carnivals and Roundups


The January 2010 edition of the Graveyard Rabbits Carnival: Final Resting Place has been posted by Julia on The Graveyard Rabbit. The topic for the February edition is Cemetery Critters.

Randy posted his Best of the Genea-Blogs at Genea-Musings and included one of my posts. I always know I have hit a home run when I'm included on his list. Thanks Randy!

At Transylvanian Dutch, John had his Weekly Picks.

Megan has a roundup of genealogy related news items at Megan's Roots World.

Last call for submissions for the 17th edition of the Carnival of Irish Heritage & Culture: Genealogy treasure "show and tell." Entries are due tomorrow, January 3rd.



Weekly Reading

My reader was overflowing with reflections on 2009 and wishes and goals for 2010. The upcoming edition of the Carnival of Genealogy is going to be huge! Being on vacation, I did try and read almost everything that came through my reader and I commented on quite a few. In the last year some great genealogy blogs have been born but there are so many blogs now that sometimes it is simply overwhelming to try and follow them all. I'm certain that in any given week I miss some great stuff.

Miriam explains how to properly cite the Christmas cards, holiday emails and family photos you just received at AnceStories. She was also Chasing Clarissa Across the Internet. Always very busy, Miriam also announced that she has created the Online Historical Newspaper Website as a companion to her Online Historical Directories Website.

Denise has a tutorial to help you Get Started with Scribed at Family Matters. She also shared her updated Researcher's Digital Tool Box.

Martha is a friend and who lost her father last year. At Lookin' Up she writes about life with detours into her family history. In memory of her dad she created a book from one of his journals as a gift for family members. She did it the old fashioned way: The Printing Press.

With X marks the spot...of stupidity, Tess, at NOLA Graveyard Rabbit, shared how tombs are being destroyed in the name of tourism.

Craig continued his Debate About Certification, etc.: The Courtroom Argument Concludes, at GeneaBlogie.

I rarely read Tombstone Tuesday posts anymore. As a way to get your information onto your blog TT is great, but not interesting to read. I was pleasantly surprised with Kay's, Such a Good Mother - Tombstone Tuesday, at Kay B's Place.

John, at Transylvanian Dutch, has posted his Ahnentafel. This is something that in four years of blogging I have not done. I like how he linked to both his labels and to the memorials on Findagrave.com. A simple, but great way to get our information out there and help us make connections. I plan to work on mine later today and I bet I find lots of holes that need filling!

At Ginisology, Gini is planning to incorporate the 365 Day Project into her daily blogging routine. We treasure the journals left by our ancestors so shouldn't we also create some type of journal for our descendants?

Over at the Genea-Cave Genea-Musings, Randy is trying to decide what Stuff to keep and what to let go of. Seems he's not alone, be sure to read all the comments too.

fM's Christmas Got Run Over By A Piggy! She also shared her Three Wishes at footnote Maven and invited us to share our wishes as well.

Mark has obtained a copy of the Worth Tucker Diary and will be sharing it at ThinkGenealogy.

3 comments:

Gini said...

Apple, thank you for the shout-out! I think the 365 days project is such a great idea! As you said it's a great way to journal our lives.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Apple for reading and sharing my post. I, too, rarely read the TT's unless there's a particularly interesting image in them or something that instantly captures my interest.

Heather Wilkinson Rojo said...

I'm new to blogging this year, and just found your blog. I loved your list of "weekly readings" and it's helped me to find a bunch of new blogs to read. I especially enjoyed the story about tour guides aiding in the destruction of gravestones, scary stuff! Makes me want to post some signs at our local colonial era graveyards here in New Hampshire.