Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Tamerson Carlisle Binns 9 Aug 1910

The next letter was written by Tamerson to her mother, Anna. Two days earlier, on 7 August 1910, Tamerson Louisa Carlisle had married Harry Phineas Binns in Buchanan, Michigan just as her brother Frank had predicted. The very first letters that I shared in the Camfield series were written by Harry's aunt, Sarah Binns Stawseight and she mentioned Harry as a child in the second.

Tamerson and Harry had traveled on their Honeymoon to Chicago and surprised her cousin, Fred Camfield, who invited them to stay the night. Fred treated them to a movie. (No mention is made of Fred's wife Libbie.) On the way back from the theatre Tamerson ran into a bit of trouble:
On the way to the car afterward something flew into my eye and I am still going one eyed. It was too late to have it out then so I left it until this morning and it is so Jewish here that it was after 10 before we could find a Dr. here we had to go several blocks + I was nearly wild with the pain. He cocaned my eyes and removed a small black speck from under the upper lid. I've been lying down most of the time since + my head aches fearfully. It keeps H. busy putting ice compress on my eye. Think it will be much better to-morrow. Hope is.

She also talks of shopping and she "rode on the moving stairway."

Mentioned is meeting another Buchanan resident, Mr. Richards.



For more see:
Camfield Family Letters
Descendants of Sarah Ann Wisner
Michael Camfield



Binns, Tamerson Carlisle (Chicago, IL) to “Dear Mother”
[Sarah Ann Camfield Carlisle] Letter. 9 August 1910. Digital Images 1-5.
Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,]
Snowville, New York. 2010.
[Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1910-1911,
Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha, I love the "moving stairway"! But the speck in the eye sounds awful.