Tuesday, September 7, 2010

What do you see?

I'm still working on trying to either prove or disprove that one set of Badgley's is related to another and I keep finding Badgley's in Central New York that I can't identify. I found this at Family Search (Beta), 1850 census for Syracuse city, ward 3, Onondaga, New York. I am interested in lines 31, 32, and 33 (near the bottom) but have included of lines for handwriting comparison. The indexer and I agree on John, age 32, and James, age 1. What is the woman's name on line 32? The indexer and I agree only on the first letter. The last name? And where was the family born? This isn't part of the indexed information and I'm stumped. Any thoughts on occupation?

6 comments:

Carol said...

I'll vote for Catherine,

the rest, I think I'll pass on !

Thomas MacEntee said...

I found the full page image on Ancestry (please email me and I'll send it).

I had to do this manually through all of Ward 3 - the handwriting is impossible and the enumerator should have been smacked up side the head (IMHO).

I believe the name is Catherine. The occupation is Lab for Laborer. The birthplace is Ireland. This is all based on my review of handwriting for many of the pages in this ward.

Barbara Poole said...

John, Catherine, and James.

Amy Coffin, MLIS said...

Having just indexed my 11,000th census entry at FamilySearch, I am in agreement with the others that the name is Catherine. Quite a loopy Catherine, but a Catherine none the less. :)

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Thanks all! I thought Catherine too. I was leaning toward Ireland but jeez. If it's Ireland they're not ours but I'll add them to my strays so I don't wonder about them in the future.

Tex said...

Catherine. And I'd have "guessed" Ireland for the place only because I could determine it started with an I.

Looks like you've got some good answers.

Sorry it's not "yours."