Monday, June 9, 2008

DeEtte Hall to Anna Carlisle March 29, 1877




Fox Lake, Ill March 29th 1877

Dear Cousin Anna,

I will now strive to answer your letter. I meant to of written before but never got time. I have been out to work and there is not much chance to write when I am so busy. I have been to work twelve weeks but I was obliged to come home on account of my having the Rheumatism. I am not not near as bad as I was at Mr Isbester do you remember that day we went over to Mr Wright’s. there was a house way off in the woods between here and Mr Wright’s there is where I worked.

page 2

it is a pleasant place I think.

Emmitt has a little girl it is three weeks old and I have never seen it yet. They have named her Eva May isn’t that a splendid name

Grandma is about the same as she has been all winter. I haven’t been up since I’ve been home this time I have been so lame I couldn’t get up there if I tried.

Haven’t you got one of your pictures for me. I think they are nice you look as natural as can be.

I have got two more letters to write today and it is nearly noon now so I will have to hurry up. Libbie’s baby is six months old and she weighs 15 pounds. There is a baby in our neighborhood that is four or five weeks old that weights 16 Pounds. I think he is a big fellow don’t you.

Eunice was

page 3

down here most all of the afternoon. I guess I forgot to tell we are all well as ever. Eune is getting allmost as fleshy as I am don’t you think she must look odd so Fleshy.

We have had the most sleighing this winter than we have had for a long while and I have enjoyed it too.

I was at a concert a week ago and it was splendid. the man was blind but he could play nicely on an organ it sounded grand beside anyone that plays it any other time.

Well Anna I guess have done as well as you did and as I don’t know any more to write I will draw this to a close by saying good Bye and take care of yourself. Give my best respects to your husband and all the rest of the folks.

Deette

Ella wrote of Eva May's birth in her letter of Oct 17, 1876.

I have no idea who Eunice was.

Edited June 10: Eunice was Eunice Ann Fenlon Wisner, wife if George H Wisner. More details with a future letter.

For more see:
Carlisle - Wisner Letters
Family of William Wisner
Descendants of Maryetta Wisner
Descendants of Sarah Ann Wisner


Hall, Deette (Fox Lake, Illinois) to “Dear Cousin Anna” [Sarah Ann Camfield Carlisle]. Letter. 29 March 1877. Digital Images 1-3. Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Snowville, New York. 2008. [Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1877 - 1879, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan]

No comments: