Wednesday, June 11, 2008

DeEtte Hall to Annie Carlisle March 21, 1879




Fox Lake Ills March 21st

Dear Cousin Annie,

I will now try and answer your letter which I received the next day after I sent one out to you.

We are all well as usual. Uncle Prentice is not expected to live and we don’t know as he is alive now. He is in Chicago at James Holle(?) now. We got a letter from Aunt Fanny last week and she said he had the dropsy now. He is terribly bloated up.

There has been

(pg 2)

a cousin of Herman’s wife down here visiting and we have had a jolly time I tell you. He is a young gentleman from Wisconsin. He was here about five weeks and went too 9 dances. Well Annie I will have to put this off until after church for I must go and get ready for church.

I have been to church and come home and eaten my supper and will now try to finish this letter.

Myrtle came home a week ago and Martha is at home now so we have some grand times now at home. I guess both of them are going to teach school this summer.

I expected to work at the same place as I did last

(pg 3)

summer. I expect to go in about a week but it will be according to whether it is fit weather to go work on the farm.

We got a letter from Ella last night. She is well and says she will have her trade learned in six or seven weeks now and is coming home early in the fall. Did I tell you that Herman had a little boy, his name is Ralph Dayton. He is just beginning to be cuit, he will laugh out loud sometimes. He is nearly fifteen weeks old now.

Well Annie you will excuse this miserable excuse for a letter seeing I wrote so short a time ago won’t you? I will close by saying good night.

I remain as ever your

Loving cousin,

DeEtte

Annie Carlisle


I did not find any more letters from 1877 and none at all from 1878. This is the only letter I've found for 1879 even though DeEtte refers to an earlier letter.

This letter didn't have the year and was in the folder of undated correspondence ca. 1850-1899. It must have been written in 1879 as Prentice Wisner died 30 Apr 1879 and Herman Hall's son, Ralph Dayton Hall was born 11 Dec 1878.

For more see:
Carlisle - Wisner Letters
Family of William Wisner
Descendants of Maryetta Wisner
Descendants of Sarah Ann Wisner


Hall, DeEtte. (Fox Lake, Illinois) to “Dear Cousin Annie” [Pearl Camfield Carlisle]. Letter. 21 March 1879. Digital Image. Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Snowville, New York. 2008. [Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, Undated c. 1850-1899, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

No comments: