Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Ella Hall to Annie Camfield March 26, 1876






March 26th 1876

Dear Cousin Annie,

I guess it is your turn next I have written three letters already this morning and have one or two more to write be for I am though after this one is done and I guess you will wish this one had been before you get through reading it for my hand is tired and I cannot write very well to begin with

page 2

Mother has just come back from Grandpa’s he is about the same as he has been all winter but Grandma was feeling pretty bad. I should not wonder much if she did not live more than two or three weeks yet. I have been gone about 5 weeks and have been home nearly a week now and I have not seen her since I went away. first I have been going to see her every day but some thing would happen so I could not go but I will go this afternoon if there is nothing else on hand after I get through writing. I must finish that first.

Well I have eaten

page 3

my dinner and now I will finish my letter and then wash the dishes and I guess I will not write any more today for I am tired of writing it is hard work for me to write.

Annie when are you going to get married. I expect my Iowa farmer is married. the report was that he was going to be when he got back. he was home awhile this winter and they said when he got back he was going to have an Iowa girl.

Well this is all I can think of.

Ever your loving coz,

Ella

Annie

Grandma was Elizabeth Badgley Wisner and she lived another 16 months. Where had Ella been for 5 weeks? Annie would marry before the year was out. Was she already engaged? Is Ella still pining over Wayne? I only looked quickly and was unable to locate him on the 1880 census. There were probably other letters written by Ella between 1873 and 1876 but either they weren't saved or perhaps are misfiled and I will run across them at a later date.

Carlisle - Wisner Letters
Family of William Wisner
Descendants of Maryetta Wisner
Descendants of Sarah Ann Wisner


Hall, Ella L (Fox Lake, Illinois) to “Dear Cousin Annie” [Sarah Ann Camfield, Jr]. Letter. 26 March 1876. Digital Images 1-5. Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Snowville, New York. 2008. [Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1875 - 1876, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan]

No comments: