Thursday, June 5, 2008

Ella Hall to Annie Camfield Sept 24, 1876





I write while you know what my name is

Sept 24th 1876

My dear Cousin,

I am going to write you once more and see if you think enough of my letters to answer them. If you had written you would have known ere this that Deette had been sick all summer and she is not entirely well yet. She went away to work and did not stay only a little over a week when she was taken with the Rheumatism and she got almost over that when she was taken with something else so that she was crazy for about 4 days. I had to leave

page 2

the place where I was and come home and help take care of her (I have been to work for my Iowa Farmer’s folks this summer) and there were a few days that we hardly thought she would live.

Anna Culver has been sick since the 1st of June and now they have no hope of her ever getting well.

Shall I tell you what I am doing now. Well I am lying flat on the floor writing

Last night Deette & I went down to Monaville and coming home Sim Culver over took us and we had a ride with him home and then he wanted us to go with him and so we went over to Mr Sherwood’s.

Grandpa is just about the same as he was last winter a little more stupid if any thing. Grandma is the same real smart for so old a person.

Anna when are you going to get married. let me know so I can get married the same time but I do not know who I can find that will be foolish enough to have me. for better or for worse to love and to cherish till death us do part

back to top of page 1

Well I have written all I can of this foolish stuff.

Write soon as you receive this.

With much love I remain your loving Coz,

EL Hall

Annie Camfield

Burr Oak

St Joseph Co

Michigan

corner of page 1

Deette says you owe her a letter and she wants you to write

E. L. Hall

As yet it may not be long enough



The Culver's appear to be neighbors of the Hall's and Wisner's, having been enumerated on the same page in 1870. Simeon Culver, born abt 1849 NY, and Ann M Culver, born about 1856 IL, were children of Horace Culver.

For more see:
Carlisle - Wisner Letters
Family of William Wisner
Descendants of Maryetta Wisner
Descendants of Sarah Ann Wisner


Hall, Ella L (Fox Lake, Illinois) to “My dear Cousin” [Sarah Ann Camfield, Jr]. Letter. 24 September 1876. Digital Images 1-4. Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Snowville, New York. 2008. [Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1875 - 1876, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan]

No comments: