Monday, February 9, 2009

Memories on Monday - Junior Year

Randy has a meme for this week's Saturday night fun at Genea-Musings.

Hey there, genea-funsters! Are you ready for some Saturday Night family history fun? I realize that many of you are reading this Sunday morning or even later, but that's OK. You can still participate.

There is a great meme going around the genealogy community on Facebook right now - it's called High School Survey. It's 25 questions about your high school senior year, so it's a bit long for our purposes here. I've modified it a bit and picked ten questions for you to ponder about your high school years. Here they are, with my responses:

I was "fast tracked" for college so I graduated in my Junior year, on the honor roll and with a Regents Diploma, thank you very much! However, as one of a class of 650, those guidance counselors who thought it would be a good idea to get me out early never found time to help me figure out how I could pay for college so I never went. Instead I worked full time, got married and helped put my husband through school. Anyway, enough whining, here are my answers for my Junior year.

1. What was your school's full name, where was it, and what year did you graduate?
West Genesee High School, Camillus, NY - 1977

2. What was the school team nickname, and what are/were your school's colors?
Wildcats, blue & gold

3. What was the name of your school song, and can you still sing it?
There was a school song?

4. Did you have a car? How did you get to and from school?
I started the year with a new, red, AMC Gremlin. I finished the year with a very cool, bright orange, Chevy step-side pick-up. Both could be found in the teachers lot in the back of the school. I don't know how I never got caught and towed.

5. Did you date someone from your high school? Or marry someone from your high school? Were you considered a flirt?
My ex had graduated the year before before me. We became engaged during the year and I think I was the only girl in the Junior class sporting and engagement ring.

6. What social group were you in?
After I moved back from North Carolina I never really fit in with any group. I only went half days and I had a full time job after school so the people I socialized with were my coworkers and they tended to be a bit older than I was.

7. Who was/were your favorite teachers?
This will drive me nuts all day. My Social Studies teacher was the only one I really liked and I can't remember her name.

8. What did you do on Friday nights?
I worked 1 - 9 at Cooks Department Store and then we might go over to the bar across the plaza and play pong for awhile or we'd go bowling, if my ex was home from school for the weekend.

9. Did you go to and have fun at the Senior Prom?
Nope.

10. Have you been to reunions, and are you planning on going to the next reunion?
I've never been. I'd be invited to the reunions for the class of '77 but the people I might remember were all in the class of '78. I have been to one of John's reunions and had a great time!

No comments: