Thursday, September 17, 2009

Tamerson L Carlisle, Aug 20, 1903

The next letter is from Tamerson to her mother, Anna. Tamerson, at the age of 14, was traveling by herself. Apparently she had been visiting someone named Mrs. Rennie and had taken the street car from there to South Bend to visit with her Camfield relatives. No one was there to meet her and her cousin, Leroy Camfield, was not at work yet at the store near the street car line so she walk over to the depot and sat for an hour. She then rechecked the store and found Leroy.
A little after 1 o'clock I went over to Wyman's again and found Leroy. He does not get thru work until about 6 P. M. I told him that I would wait for him and I really enjoyed sitting there watching the people go out and in. It was raining some so I could not walk around town.

Eventually she connected with her cousin, Ruby Camfield and they walked home together. Her plan was to stay until the following week and then she would return to Buchanan and Ruby would come with her.


I was surprised that they allowed Tamerson to travel alone at such a young age until I thought about my own youth. At thirteen I flew with my brother and sister to Raleigh and my sister was only 7. We had to change planes in D.C. and had no problems. At fourteen I was able to take the bus back and forth to North Carolina by myself.

For more see:
Camfield Family Letters
Descendants of Sarah Ann Wisner
Michael Camfield


Carlisle, Tamerson L (South Bend, IN) to “Dear Mama”
[Anna Camfield Carlisle]. Letter. 20 August 1903. Digital Images 1-2.
Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,]
Snowville, New York. 2009.
[Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1903-1904,
Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

No comments: