Monday, November 24, 2008

Sarah Ann Camfield, 18 Oct 1880






Noble Oct 18th 1880
Dear Children
we are well I am better than I have been since 1 year ago last july am doing my work alone washing and all we have a man by the month churn 3 time a week I dont churn the men do that but I have the butter to work and pack get 22 cents per pound I got aletter from you last the 8 and apackage ever ever so many thanks for it
this fore noon I have been down to the farther end of the farm hunting for lost pigs did not find them done the work and got dinner and got the work done and so much of this letter and it is 20 minutes to 1 oclock
we did not have as gooa crop as

page 2

wheat as last year only had 527 bushels 167 oats corn about middling we are fattening 26 hogs and had 14 left there is 2 missing this morning we have not sold the wheat yet have drawed most of it to Bronson have 4 loads to draw yet then sell yet for whatever the price is then it is rising every day it is 103 today if it dont fall like it did last year we could have got 135 per bushel thought we would get 150 and sold for 1.18 hogs are 4 and a quarter now they seem to be rising we will sel in 2 or 3 weeks I think I am so glad if Josey and Rozy thought they had a good visit I felt as if they did not enjoy it I suppose they told you what a sick time we had if I could have been as wel as I am now I should have enjoyed it so much more and could have made it so much pleasant

page 3

They had at your house about what a good visit for them. Rozy had agoodeal to say I wish you and Ashley and Frank could have come out here when it has been so pleasant a week or to back are you not comeing this fall I suppose you wont hardly dare on account of your rheumatism if I had the chance I had last fall I should come there
now we have a new milkcow we have a colt 2 weeks old and one 1 year old
do you have any politicks out your way
we sold 15^75 worth of apples this fall and made 4 bbl of cider and 4 gallon jar fully of jelly three gallon boiled cider 3 gallons in / the jelly is made the same way as sorgun syrup we got it boiled at the cidermill you can make it

page 4

you cant make it as nice as they can mine is not as nice as Henrys was one of his 6 gallon jars stands here in the pantry where it stood when you was here ful of jelly it is 2 years old and just as nice as ever 1 barrel of cider will make 4 gallons of jelly I think it has to be boiled the same day the cider is made or it wont jell they

we have had 3 cold wind days before it has been so pleasant it sems rather tough it is very dry that sunday you said it rained it sprinkled alittle here we have had no rainwater in 4 weeks we have not been out before sinc we have been here your mother
S A Camfield


"Fair to middling" is an expression often used in my family.

I think Henry was Henry Bogardus, although in other letters Sarah uses the more formal Mr. B.


For more see:
Camfield Family Letters
Descendants of Sarah Ann Wisner
Sarah Ann Wisner Camfield, 1817-1912
Michael Camfield
Henry Bogardus, Shirt-tail Cousin


Camfield, Sarah Ann Wisner. (Noble Center, MI) to “Dear Children” [Anna Camfield Carlisle]. Letter. 18 October 1880. Digital Images 1-4. Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Snowville, New York. 2008. [Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1880, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

3 comments:

Tim Fleming said...

Is this the Frank Wisner who worked in Covert Ops for the CIA, circa 1949-65?

TP Fleming

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Hi Tim,

The letter refers to Sarah's grandson, Frank Carlisle.

I don't believe I have the Frank Wisner that you refer to in my file but I'd love to know more!

Apple

Tim Fleming said...

Frank Wisner was a CIA covert operative during the 1940s-60s. He was actually one of the original employees of the agency. Born and raised in Mississippi, I believe. He had a nervous breakdown in the late 1950s, some say from the stress of his work...some say from the guilt he felt over the despicable dirty tricks he planned and implemented as a covert operative. He was involved in Operation Mockingbird--the subversion of the free press in America post WWII--and MK-ULTRA, the CIA's mind control program through which it tried to create a "Manchurian candidate" killer. Wisner committed suicide in 1965, by blowing his head off with a shotgun...an incident which I document in my new novel.

Tim Fleming
author,"Murder of an American Nazi"
eloquentbooks.com