Saturday, January 17, 2009

Sarah Ann Camfield, 24 May 1887

Noble May 24 1887

we are going to Bronson this morning we just got your letter last night so I will write a few lines to let you know we are well a usual I have not got done white washing and cleaning house yet it is slow work when you cannot work only 2 or 3 hours a day I feel pretty wel but cannot stand it to work but a little while at a time
I think Faney wrote us a very nice letter for alittle boy

well you have chosen the very name I had for the baby
I suppose you and Ashley are not at all pleased with it being a girl as you said nothing about it
in haste write as often as you can
S A Camfield


The baby was named Tamerson Louisa, for her great-grandmother Tamesin Hall Glover, Ashley Carlisle's maternal grandmother so I find it odd that Sarah says, "well you have chosen the very name I had for the baby".

For more see:
Camfield Family Letters
Descendants of Sarah Ann Wisner
Michael Camfield


Camfield, Sarah Ann Wisner. (Noble Center, MI) “we are going to bronson”
[Anna Camfield Carlisle]. Letter. 24 May 1887. Digital Image.
Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,]
Snowville, New York. 2009.
[Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1887 - 1889,
Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

2 comments:

Tex said...

One of my dad's cousins told me that a great-aunt had named many of the children in the family. Like you, I found it interesting that she chose names from the line she wasn't related to. And that she knew THOSE family names as well as her own.

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Tex - It is surprising that she knew the names but sometimes I think extended families were closer years ago.

It wasn't until I reread this that I realized that the baby was named for both her great-grandmother Tamesin Hall Glover and also for her grandmother, Louisa Glover Carlisle.