Saturday, March 20, 2010

Weekly Rewind

Congratuations!

Thanks to Denise Barrett Olson's post, More Blog Notice, at Family Matters I discovered that, Discovering Family History has a list of 15 Genealogy Blogs You Need to Read. Congratualtions to Denise and the other 14 blogs mentioned!


Carnivals and Roundups

Jasia hosted the the 91st Edition of the Carnival of Genealogy at Creative Gene. The topic for this edition was "Women's History Month: Write a biography about a woman on your family tree starting with a timeline of their life." There were 21 excellent submissions and I am honored that my submission was chosen as the Featured Article! The topic for the next edition is Dance and submissions are due by April 1st.

The 7th edition of A Festival of Postcards was hosted by Evelyn Yvonne Theriault at A Canadian Family. The theme was "Light" and it was interesting to see the various ways in which that was interperted by various bloggers. The theme for the next edition is Geography and submissions are due by April 28th.

The March Issue of Shades Of The Departed Magazine is available at Shades of the Departed. The the photographs were beautiful and the articles great this month. I particularly liked Denise Barrett Olson's, The Future of Memories.

The Carnival of Irish Heritage and Culture celebrated St Patrick's day with the 3rd annual St. Patrick's Day Parade hosted by Lisa at Small-leaved Shamrock. There were a wide range of topics celebrating Irish genealogy, hertitage faith and of course, St. Patrick. The topic for the next edition is Irish Poetry and submissions are due by April 26th.

The Premier Edition of the Carnival of African-American Genealogy was hosted by Luckie Daniels at Our Georgia Roots. The topic was Restore My Name, dealing with the sharing and publication of slave records. The topic for the next edition is Grandma's Hand with submissions due by April 12th.

John Newmark shared his Weekly Genealogy Picks at Transylvanian Dutch and as always has links to great posts that I would have otherwise missed.

New (to me) is Dan Curtis ~ Professional Personal Historian. He posted Monday's Link Roundup with some interesting links.

At GenBlog, Julie Cahill Tarr shared her Friday Finds.


Weekly Reading

I really enjoyed Joan Hill's Lunch With Mary Burns McPherson at Roots'n'Leaves.

At Two Sides of the Ocean, Cheryl wrote a lovely biography of her grandmother: From Whence I Came...Ella Anna Helene Wellhausen

Brenda Dougall Merriam did an outstanding job with McFadyen Part 11: The 1776 Dilemma.

Guest author, Camille Giglio shared her family story at California Genealogical Society and Library: It's All Malarkey.

After recieving some information that conflicted with what she had, Kay made some new discoveries at Kay B's Place: Re-Morse.

Craig Manson wrote about the Womens Airforce Serivce Pilots at GeneaBlogie.

At Attic Treasures a neat bit of family trivia was discovered: Paris Blues and my family history...hmmmmm

Jasia is looking for help at Creative Gene: Who's Up on Their Latin Chirch Records? 

Lorine has found a group photo that her father amy have been in. Olive Tree Genealogy Blog: Is This My Father?

Barbara Poole, at Life From The Roots could use some help with her template: Monday Madness - - Asking for Help #2. Has anyone else run across the comment problem she mentions? I think I can fix her header for her but by tinkering with her html codes but is there an easier way?

From Debra Osborn Spindle at All My Ancestors I learned that the Oklahoma Territorial Census of 1890 has been reindexed.

John D Reid at Anglo-Celtic Connections tells us that we can now Browse the Ottawa Citizen Achive. Using his trick I would think that you should be able to do this with any newspaper at Google.

Greta has been exploring Footnote's Pages Feature at Greta's Genealogy Bog.

At Taneya's Genealogy Blog, Taneya has discovered more NARA Compiled Service Records @ Internet Archive, this time for the Revolutionary War. Also read her post, Open Library Just Made My Week.

Following that, John Warren, at New York History, posted State Library Puts Revolutionary War Materials Online.

C-Span Video Library - Not All Politics, who knew? John Newmark at TransylvanianDutch found another great resource I never would have checked out on my own! Also check out John's thoughts On the Census and the American Community Servey.

Update your bookmarks! Joe Beine is moving some of his directories. Find the details at Genealogy Roots Blog: Online Genealogy Records Directories - Moving.

Denise Barrett Olson has started a series at Family Matters, The Personal Archive.

Larry Lehmer asks, Will your cyber life end at the same time as your real life? at Passing It On.

Both Gena and Patricia Geary have written about the new online classes available at Family Search. Free Online Classes at Family Search at Greta's Genealogy and Family Search Genealogy Classes Offered On-Line at Computer Tips and Tutorials.


My Week

Spring has finally arrived in Snowville! This is the earliest I have ever had crocuses here! I've been out without a jacket and my husband has begun shoveling the garden beds that are still snowbound. I've only had time to get one garden bed cleaned up with lots left to do.

I had an incredibly busy week, kid's night here, Mike had a band concert. a garden club meeting and I worked a bus safety event. Throw in a couple of meetings, a flat tire and a trip to the doctor with Mom and I'm happy the week is over!

6 comments:

Kathryn Doyle said...

Apple,
Thanks for mentioning Camille's article about her Malarkey family. She's going to be thrilled! By the way, I love your new look.

Dan Curtis said...

Thanks for the mention and link.

Barbara Poole said...

Thank you Apple for mentioning my problem, but I would like to announce here who helped me. Thank you again Apple, it looks great.

Greta Koehl said...

Thank you for the mention, Apple. I also wanted to let you know that I often find one or two sites or blogs on your list that are new to me.

Anonymous said...

I always appreciate that you mention interesting posts I might have otherwise missed. I certainly, also, love to know that someone found one of my posts worthy of mentioning. Thank you!

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

I hope you have a better week this time around! :) Take care.