Saturday, January 13, 2007

Remember the Excitement?

Do you remember how exciting it was when you were first starting on your ancestral quest? How every new discovery was exciting. That's where my cousin, Pittsburgh, is right now.

Pittsburgh first contacted me back in the fall after finding my tree at rootsweb. We both descend from Henry & Hannah Glover who were born about 1640 or so, making us seventh cousins once removed! But hey, a cousin's a cousin right?

Her 4th great-grandfather, Alexander Glover 1756-1826, and my 3rd great-grandfather, David Glover 1775-1848, second cousins, both started out from Conway, MA and settled in Phelps, NY. Alexander's son, Philander and his 1st wife Polly Melvin had a daughter, Lamira (my 4th cousin, 3x removed), who married Othniel Hall (my 1st cousin, 4x removed.) Philander later married, as his 2nd wife, my 3rd great-grandaunt, Ruhamah Hall.

Whew! Have you got all that? Even though Pittsburgh and I are very distant cousins I have had a fascination with her Glover branch of the tree and the way it intersects with my Glover / Hall line. I'm also fascinated by the whole group that left Conway for Phelps.

Pittsburgh is just starting out on her quest, she doesn't even have genealogy software yet, but she has already made her first research trip. She has been emailing me with details about her trip, how kind and helpful everyone in Howell, MI were to her and how much information she found. Her excitement is contagious! I have put my Kelly line aside, for now, and I'm back to sorting out Glover's. She came across several Glover's that I don't have in my file and I have found some others that I'm trying to fit into the puzzle. Will they fit in her line? My line? Another line? Let the sorting begin!

No comments: