Sunday, January 6, 2008

Where Were They 100 Years Ago?

Lisa, writing at 100 Years in America, asked where our ancestors were in 1908. It took me a bit to look it up and in some cases I don't know exactly but I have a pretty good idea. In one case I'm not sure if one great-grandmother was still living or not. In researching this I was surprised at how little I have written on these ancestors!

My maternal grandfather, Daniel Michael Carlisle, would have been 23 and was living with his parents, Isaac Ashley and Sarah Ann (Camfield) Carlisle in the Carlisle family home on Main St, Buchanan, MI.

My maternal grandmother, Pearl Vivian Camfield, was 22. In 1900 she was living with her parents, Joseph Harrison and Arazina Rose (Graham) Camfield in Portage Twp, St. Joseph Co, IN. By 1910 her parents had seperated and she was living with her mother and sister, Ruby, in South Bend, IN. In 1908 Joseph Camfield was also living in South Bend, IN. So I'm not certain what the family dynamics were in 1908 but they all were living in (or very near) South Bend, IN.

My great-great-grandmother, Sarah Ann (Wisner) Camfield, age 90, was living with her son Joseph in 1910 and my best guess is that she would have been with him in 1908 as well, although she could easily have been living with her daughter Sarah Ann in Buchanan.

My paternal grandfather, Kimberly Powell Berry, age 8, and his brother, Thomas David Berry, age 10, would have been living with their mother, Charlotte Teresa Kate (Hollington) Berry, age 32, in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. My great-grandfather, Joseph Berry, died in 1903 and Charlotte didn't remarry until 1909. I don't know if they were living with other family members or what section of Ottawa they were living in.

My great-great-grandmother, Jane (Rawlings) Berry, age 88, was most likely living with her daughter and son-in-law, Caroline and Arthur Wilson, on Nelson St, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

My great-great-grandfather, James Hollington, age 63, was living with his second wife, Mary Jane (Dudley) Hollington, on Nelson St, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada.

My paternal grandmother, Mary Lieth (Kelly) Berry, age 8, would have been living with her parents, James and Isabella (White) Kelly in Ontario, Canada. Sometime between 1901 and 1911 the family moved from Lanark to Ottawa. James' mother, Mary (?) Kelly died sometime between 1900 and 1910. If she was still living in 1908 she would have been living in Adams, Jefferson Co, NY.

My great-great-grandmother, Isabella (Craig) Kelly died in 1908 at the age of 92, in Dalhousie Twp, Lanark Co, Ontario, Canada.

No comments: