Monday, April 14, 2008

Treasure Chests

I'm finally in Ann Arbor and to say that I am overwhelmed by what I found today would be an understatement. I knew the Civil War Era letters would be there and I expected to find maybe 4 or 5 dozen other letters in Box #1.

THANK YOU! To all of you that suggested that I plan to photograph everything, thank you, thank you!

I only made it through about half of the first box today and I took over 650 photos of letters and other documents. When I realized that it was taking me an hour to look at each folder I stopped reading what was there and just skimmed the material a bit and photographed everything.

I've spent the last two hours reading and I've barely skimmed the surface. Brick walls are tumbling! I now have my great-grandfather's name and place of death. I never would have looked for him in Oklahoma. There are many names mentioned that I don't recognize. I wasn't expecting to find so much on my Camfield and Glover lines.

There are dozens of letters between my mother and grandmother. Mom often drew little diagrams to make a point. The finding aid mentions letters written by Mom as being in Box #2 so I was surprised to find these letters today.

I can't wait to see what I'll find tomorrow!

5 comments:

Thomas MacEntee said...

Wow, wow, wow!!! This is great news - I wondered where you were and now I know.

Thomas

JEWELGIRL said...

Great stuff! I am glad you are
finding what you were looking for!

Janice said...

How wonderful for you! Exciting news! I know you will have much to share when you get back!

Janice

CountryGirl said...

Wow Apple, I'm glad you got there safe and that you hit it big! You will be busy for the next year going through everything. Can't wait to hear more!

Treasure Chests said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.