Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Ella McKinnon to Annie Carlisle Aug 29, 1905



Mapleton Minn

Aug 29th 1905

My dear Cousin

Well Annie I guess you will begin to scold pretty soon but you must remember I am getting old & don’t feel like writing as I need to do you know that I am 50 years old today and have done a big washing today too and I do get tired I did not mind it last summer doing anything like that but this year seems as if I cannot stand much work I don’t feel sick or any thing like that but I get tired so easy


page 2


My husband has gone off on a visit just now up near Grand Forks N.D. he will be gone about a week yet and it is lonesome I tell you he was never gone in the evening and when it comes night it don’t seem right not to see him here


One of out neighbors have been threshing to day and it has been so warm, to warm for any kind of comfort this afternoon it sprinkled several times but did not amount to any thing it did not stop them threshing so you see it was not much Grain is pretty good here in spike of what was thought in


page 3


the spring. It was so wet every one thought grain was not going to be very much but it seems to be turning out well and of good quality too but the price is going down right along.


Yes Annie it was nice to have Belle graduate and I don’t but what it was lucky she did when she did for she is not fit to go to school now and it begins next week she is lame just now so she can hardly get around and has not seemed well all summer.


I am glad that your mother keeps so well I would like to see her but I don’t


page 4


believe I ever will again.


Give her my love and tell her I think of her often and will try and write to her again soon.


Well I can’t think of anything more to write about so I will have to say good night and pleasant dreams or as a little girl we used to tell Belle


Good night

Sleep tight


Ever your Cousin,

Ella


Happy Birthday to Ella - her husband is gone and the laundry still needs to be done.

Mary Belle McKinnon was born 29 Sept 1887. I have no idea if there is any connection to Jake's trip to North Dakota but when Belle eventually marries she and her husband will relocate there.

For more see:
Carlisle - Wisner Letters
Family of William Wisner
Descendants of Maryetta Wisner
Descendants of Sarah Ann Wisner

McKinnon, Ella Hall (Mapleton, Minnesota) to “My dear Cousin” [Sarah Ann Camfield Carlisle]. Letter. 29 August 1905. Digital Images 1-2. Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Snowville, New York. 2008. [Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, 1905, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]


1 comment:

Nikki - Notes of Life said...

These letters are great... giving you (and us) and insight to what life was like back then.

Thanks again for sharing! :)