Thursday, August 21, 2008

Elizabeth Belden to Sarah Ann Camfield Jan 28 1910



Benedict Nebr Jan 28th

My Dear Aunt
I was so pleased to get your letter: I have been thinking of writing to you before this and I hardly know why I have not: it is more carelessness than because I could not find the time. though I really do keep pretty busy.

Effie’s school duties keep her occupied so much of the time that she can do little at home so I have nearly all to do and I don’t have much time to play

Page 2

We have had such a hard winter so far: it has taken so much of the time to keep warm that is to bring in ____ and keep the fires

It has been thawing for several days so I don’t suppose the snow will be with us much longer though it threatens more today and but may grass over.

I have heard from both Hermon and Ella lately: they and their families were well but Herman wrote of George Wisner’s failing heath: I think it certain that he will not be here long and perhaps you remember he is just the age of Joseph and myself

Joseph’s being in Nov I believe mine in Jan and George’s in March so he is the youngest of the three.

Page 3

I do not think anyone has heard of Uncle Wirt since Uncle Henry’s death. Not that I have been able to find out

We have kept real well this winter for which I am very grateful: in fact in spite of the extreme cold weather there has been but very little sickness in this locality

Once more I must tell you how glad I am to hear from you and that you are able to write and hope I may hear from you again: I don’t mean to neglect you either but will write oftener: I am getting careless about it.

Love to all and best wishes
Your niece Elizabeth Belden

This letter was in the folder for undated correspondence 1900-1940. I think I can safely date it 1910 because Elizabeth wrote a letter in Dec 1908 from Kilbourn, WI and if she had moved to Nebraska in the last month I would expect some mention of it so this wasn't written in 1909. The next letter, written Dec 19, I could not find a year on but it was included in the 1910 folder so I doubt this letter was written just six weeks later. Sarah Ann Wisner Camfield died sometime in 1912 and while it is possible that this was written that year, I think it improbable. That leaves us with early 1910.

I still do not have a year of death for George Wisner, only that he died between the 1910 and 1920 census.

As far as I know, Uncle Marshall Wirt Wisner was still a widower and living in Eau Clair, WI in 1908. He was the youngest of the Wisner children and 16 years younger than Sarah Ann.

For more see:
Carlisle - Wisner Letters
Family of William Wisner
Descendants of Maryetta Wisner
Descendants of Sarah Ann Wisner


Belden, Sarah Elizabeth Hall (Benedict, Nebraska) to “My Dear Aunt” [Sarah Ann Wisner Camfield]. Letter. 28 January circa 1910-1915. Digital Images 1-2. Privately held by Apple, [ADDRESS FOR PRIVATE USE,] Snowville, New York. 2008. [Carlisle Family, Box #1, Correspondence, Undated c. 1900-1940, Bentley Historical Library, University of Michigan. 2008.]

No comments: